2 bases or different Hotels almost every night?

striv

Hi,

We're going to be in Tuscany for a a week (8 nights) this summer (flying into/from Florence) and trying to decide between having just 2 bases (Florence and Sienna) or instead moving through different hotels every night trying to optimize amount of driving necessary. Any suggestions or recommendations would be helpful. We've been to Pisa before and Florence (but just half a day and on MONDAY, so doesn't really count ;) We want to basically see the hilltowns of Tuscany, and enjoy the food, wine, scenery. Don't want to rush too much.

Here's my tentative itinerary with specific questions added in.

Friday- (arrive Florence in afternoon) (stay 3 nights)
Saturday - Florence
Sunday - Florence or day trip by train to Lucca
Monday - rent car and drive through Chianti region.
Q. end in Sienna or end in San Gimignano and stay 1 night there?
Tuesday - San Gimignano and Volterra. -> return for night in Sienna
Wednesday - Sienna
Thursday - Montalcino, Pienza, Montepulciano
Q. return to Sienna or stay 1 night in Montepulciano ?
Friday - open to suggestions. Cortona/Arrezo ?
Q. stay 1 night in that area or return to Sienna?
Saturday - drive back to Florence for mid-day flight home

If you have any suggested changes to above, please let me know.
Thanks in advance

Maybe my question was too long. I'm really hoping for some advice on this.

In summary, is it better to stay 4-5 nights in Sienna and do day trips to 1), San Gimignano, Volterra 2) Montalcino, Pienza, Montepulciano and 3) Cortona/Arezzo.

Or is it better/more convenient to spend only 2-3 nights in Sienna and the other nights at the end of the day trip destination: San Gimignano, Montepulciano, Arezzo. See my original post for my itinerary plan if you have some suggestions.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

Where to make your home base.

Buongiorno

I suggest you make one home base in or near San Gimignano - it is more central and then the day you visit Siena you can either opt to stay one night in the city to really expereience Siena OR that afternoon drive to Montepulciano. Actually I would opt to do an evening in Siena only because the drive between Montepulciano and Siena is AMAZING.

Drive thru Chianti and end in San Gimignano.
do San Gimignano and Volterra in one day
next day pack it off to Siena - full day and night. Itinerary ideas for one day: http://www.discovertuscany.com/itineraries-in-tuscany/one-day-in-siena.html
then make your next base in Montepulciano or area and do Cortona, Arezzo & Pienza from there

You can look at these places: (Have a look at Relais Chiostro di Pienza and Agriturismo Le Caggiole)
http://www.tuscanyaccommodation.com/val-d-orcia/

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

PS the site for the hotels has you booking directly with the owners!

Thank you for very interesting suggestion. I didn't even consider to stay to San Gimignano more than 1 night. I'll consider this as I'm getting the hotels.

You mention that road from Sienna to Montepulciano is beautiful. Is there specific roads that you'd recommend taking.

Thanks again.