wineries in san gimignano

Anne Renard

We are staying in a villa in san gimignano in countryside. and we want to go around the area to a couple of wineries there. we don't want to rent a car and we were wondering if it would be difficult to ride bikes in the area since I heard there are no buses in the area. I heard you can rent them in town. We were thinking of doing a winery tour of chianti and brunello. has anyone done a winery tour there?

Riding Bikes

Buongiorno,

Without knowing your level of "enthusiasm" for bike riding, I would start off with

1) this is not a flat area...there are lots of hills
2) things are not "closeby", it is not as if you will find vineyard lined up after vineyard...they are truly nestled in the Chianti hills that abound in this area and spread out quite a bit

if you are looking for beautiful panoramic rides - definitely...but if you are not "seasoned" bikers...I would venture to say you would be pushing it to enjoy the ride, the scenery and the wines!...besides after a wine tasting getting back on the bikes might be a bit less .... enticing.

I am not sure how you are planning on getting around in this area without a car, since it is not well connected with the bus system...but if you were to get into the city of San Gimignano then you could check out the Museum of Vernaccia Wines where you can get a tour and wine tastings of the local products.

As for joining a private tour....absolutely a great idea. I have done it and will say that it is well worth it. Check out this page on wine tours that we highly recommend from our partners in the area: Wine tastings.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

If you really want to go wine tasting and get there with a bike, I would actually suggest trying Piero and Elena from "Bike Florence & Tuscany" -- they all the best back roads to take to be away from traffic on the main roads and provide the bikes, as well as knowledge of which wineries to try. I did an interview with them a few weeks ago and want to try them out! They actually have a tour right around SG and another in Chianti - read my interview first here: http://www.discovertuscany.com/tuscany-by-bike/bike-in-florence-and-tuscany-tours.html
They could also arrange a customized tour based on what you want to do.

As far as Brunello, that is a bit far from SG: were you planning to bike there too? I think a better alternative would be to catch the bus from SG to Siena and from there join in on a guided tour (which includes transportation) such as the ones you see on here: https://www.partner.viator.com/en/8357/search/siena+montalcino

How far outside of SG is your villa? I would contact the villa owners and ask them if they have bikes already or can arrange for the rental place from SG to drop them off at the villa, so that you have them the whole time you are there from the start.