Rules of stopping for campervans

CamperVirgin

We are a family of four, planning for a 4-5 week trip in Italy including a 7-10 day trip criss-crossing Tuscany with a campervan. Being new to the sport, I was trying to find some guidance on the internet about where I can and cannot stop to spend the night, but can't find one single site. Tuscany being the treasure it is, I would much rather stop in beautiful scenery than an over-crowded camping (even if it has a swimmingpool). Can anyone help me either with a link or actual advice? There are at least two aspects of rules I wonder about: one is general rules of safe stopping and the other is specific rules for where and how one may stop in Italy/Tuscany. By the way, if I just turn up at a camping site or camping village in one evening only to spend 1 night without having reserved in advance, is that possible? Of course any other advice is appreciated.
Thx for any help!
BV

Getting around Tuscany by campervan

Dear CamperVirgin,

I love your nickname! :D

In Italy camper vans are considered special vehicles and there are some laws settling the rules for their stops. Camper vans can stop and park almost anywhere, but they have to be on wheels and not on supports. When I say you can stop and park anywhere I mean you'll follow the common-sense rules, so don't stop in the middle of the street and so on ;) If there are parking lines delimiting the space, make sure you're within the lines and in the main towns, such as Florence, look for designated parking lots.
The other important note regards dumping. You can dump only in equipped and signaled areas. Parking lots, camping sites, some farmhouses, as well as highway stops and rest areas are equipped for camper van dumping. Here you find a list of camper van-equipped areas in Tuscany. It is in Italian, but I think it still can be useful.
Regarding the general information about driving in Italy see them here.

You didn't mention when you'll be traveling, but I think you won't find problems in finding a spot in camping sites or camping villages, especially for just 1 night.

I suggest you visit this website about camper van life. It doesn't say much about Italy but it provides useful information for traveling, as well as tips and suggestions.

I hope these suggestions will help you for your adventure in Tuscany :D
Don't hesitate to ask any other question and I hope you'll share with us your experience.

Thank you Valentina!

Thanks ever so much for your help! We are planning to arrive in Tuscany (via Trieste, Venezia) sometime late July.
Are there any special rules (apart from common sense) for spending the night in the country-side by a small road (no dumping, just being) if we would find a spot to our liking? Are there any rules for spending the night (by or close to the road) on private land? (In scandinavia you are allowed to enter and stay for the night but should keep a certain distance from the house etc.) I am mostly looking to find uncrowded pictoresque spots to spend the nights, to be able to enjoy nature as much as possible of your beautiful region (take the bicycle to the closest village in the morning, have breakfast in beautiful scenary etc.). This leads to my other concern, safety. How safe would it be (we have 2 kids of 9 and 12)?
Thx again for all the useful links! We were planning blogging during the adventure, maybe we could do it in this forum?!
I can assure you, our dumping will be done at designated areas.
All answers appreciated!

Last edited:
Stopping safely by camper van

Dear CamperVirgin,

You can stop almost anywhere. Regarding private land, as the word "private" suggest you are generally not allowed to enter. If it's a private property with a house you may ask the owners the permission to stop. Italians are generally nice people and will probably let you park. When you park keep in mind to leave enough room for other cars/camper vans to go through.

Regarding safety. Well, I don't know what to say about that. My personal opinion is to avoid camping in lonely country roads in the middle of nowhere. Since you have two kids (even though they are old enough) I would suggest you park near towns, houses or better in rest-areas. It's not only about thieves or wild animals. Since it's your very first camper van trip I would recommend you stay in safer places. But of course, it's my personal opinion ;)

We would love you to post about your trip here! It would be great :D

I really hope you'll have a great time in Italy and I'm sure you'll have!