Travelling in Tuscany and Accommodation Suggestions -- Help!

Hello!
My husband and I (mostly me lol) are planning for our first trip to Italy this August.

We plan to visit Rome, Florence, Tuscany, and Cinque Terre over the two weeks.

Originally, I planned on us traveling by train only. But it seems challenging to visit some small Tuscan towns and stay at a farmhouse in Tuscany without a car.

So my question is -- is renting a car outside of Florence and driving through Tuscany challenging? We would rent the car outside the city and take it through Tuscany and then to Cinque Terre (parking outside one of the towns and leaving it there) then taking the car from there back to Florence. Then training from Florence to Rome for our departure flight.

Thoughts?? I am nervous about the driving but I don't want to miss out on small, rural towns and accommodations.

Lastly -- any recommendations for a farmhouse for a 30 year old couple? Looking for good food (not self-catered), cooking class, olive oil, wine, cheese, and animals! :)

Grazie,
Steph

Last edited:
Driving in Tuscany

Buongiorno,

You can do most of your trip by train and just pick up a car while in Florence - or you could either look into an organized tour or hire a NCC (car with driver) and let him (or her) take all your road worries away :cool:

However, I know a lot of people hear "horror" stories about the Italian drivers...but personally, I just don't think it is true. (and I have been here several years...driving all of them)

Some roads can be quite beautiful, and a bit curvy. Just take your time, pull over if someone wants to pass - and relax. But I must say, I am also a big advocate of having someone else doing the driving so that BOTH of you can really enjoy the adventure (instead of navigating the GPS and other drivers).

If you want some assistance in finding a driver and getting some prices, let me know. I have a few that I have used in the past. They are professional and friendly.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

Hello Donna,
Any recommendations for farmstays/agriturismos in southern tuscany (panzano, greve, montepulciano etc) that have great views, cooking classes, animals and wine? :)

Thank you
Steph

Buongiorno,

You can do most of your trip by train and just pick up a car while in Florence - or you could either look into an organized tour or hire a NCC (car with driver) and let him (or her) take all your road worries away :cool:

However, I know a lot of people hear "horror" stories about the Italian drivers...but personally, I just don't think it is true. (and I have been here several years...driving all of them)

Some roads can be quite beautiful, and a bit curvy. Just take your time, pull over if someone wants to pass - and relax. But I must say, I am also a big advocate of having someone else doing the driving so that BOTH of you can really enjoy the adventure (instead of navigating the GPS and other drivers).

If you want some assistance in finding a driver and getting some prices, let me know. I have a few that I have used in the past. They are professional and friendly.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise