Ideas and Info needed- Caravaning in Italy- How and Where?

alliganl

Hi All

My boyfriend and I are attending a wedding in Italy this summer (last week of August) in Tuscany (between Arezzo and Siena). We intend to stay out for an additional 10 days. I have 3 questions (these grew as I wrote them) I was hoping that you all might be able to help with:

1) We need to keep the costs low and were looking to hire a campervan- Is this a good idea? Are there many campsites in the area that people have stayed at before that they would recommend? Does anyone have details of good rental companies in the region that will be happy for us to leave the campervan at a different site at the end of the trip? If not, any good rental company would be good?

2) We have not booked our flights back to the UK, we have 10 days and would like to see some pretty areas and areas that have enough to keep us occupied but not hectically running about.. can anyone suggest an itinerary? Are there any must dos? ..and must don'ts? We have both been to Rome, Florence and Naples and would like to see a bit more of the Italian culture and have an adventure... lots to do but less famous and beautiful sights.. we would also like to spend some time by the sea.. anyone help?

3) Some people have suggested train but I don't think this will work if we want to visit smaller towns and have the flexibility to stop of a vineyards etc... thoughts?

Very excited to receive any responses

Lucy

Ciao Alliganl,

Sounds like you'll have lots of fun at the wedding and then touring around Italy. I searched for some camper van rental places and I only found one that had three locations (Bologna, Florence and Perugia) that might offer the possibility to rent in one place and return in another. The best thing is to contact each of the places and find out if they have availability and get a total cost estimate as it seems the last week of August for some is still high season or mid-season while September is considered low season - so different rates apply per day.

I found this site that allows you to check off places you want to contact and send just one form to all of them to request for a price estimate rather than contact each one. Some of the ones I'm singling out here can be reached through this site, through the use of the one form. See if you receive replies through this service, if not then start contacting the ones that interest you in particular.

Since you'll be between Siena and Arezzo, the best thing might be to start to look around there. Near Arezzo, I found these two: Giramondo 2000 - Doesn't say sice of camper vans - cost 120-140 per day
And Vacanze Expo - Vans are 6-7 places, cost depends on the days - the last week of August has a set price of 720 euro, then september is mid-season at 95 euro per day

In Montepulciano I found this other one, Nobil Camper, but it says to contact them for rates and doesn't give much other information. In Colle Val d'Elsa, to the west of Siena, I found this one, Paolino Camper, with camper vans for 6-7 spots - 115-135 euro per day

So my impression is that these are closer to where you'll be but that the camper vans are really big for 2 - the advantage of heading toward Florence for the rental is that there are a few more rental places and they seem to have smaller camper vans, as well as corresponding lower rates.
This Caravan Mec has smaller camper vans for 4 people and the rates are from 70 to 105 per day, with unlimited km. The "luna" and "sole" rates are for vans for 4.
The other advantage of heading to Florence is there is this one, Murphy Camper, the one I mentioned has offices in Bologna and Perugia as well in case you want to start in Tuscany but also go visit Umbria to the south or the Emilia Romagna region to the north of Tuscany. Rates also seem to be good.

So you also want ideas of what to see - there are plenty of smaller pretty medieval towns in the middle of Tuscany to keep you busy for those 10 days. Definitely go around the Chianti area and the area to the south of Siena so that you can do wine tasting - Chianti as well as Brunello and Montepulciano wines. I think as long as you have a map and an idea of what you like to see, you can just drive down roads and stop as you see something that appeals to you...
Do you like to hike? Do you want to go into the mountains? Lots of people head to the Apennines where it is cooler with their camper vans and for this both the Garfagnana and Casentino areas are perfect. Casentino is a valley between Florence and Arezzo at the foot of the Apennines.

If you want to spend time at the sea, head toward Grosseto and Maremma - there are many campgrounds in the area where you can park and be very close to the sea.

Check out this other thread that has tips about moving around with camper vans - Valentina posted a link to a site that has a list of all caravan areas in Tuscany where you can stop and park as well as dump dirty water.

For some reason all the sites I found for camper vans are only in Italian but don't worry, I am sure they do rent but they just never thought to translate the site into English. The important thing to know is noleggio means "rentals" since many of these sites also sell camper vans.

If you need any more suggestions or help, let us know! :D

Welcome to the DT forum :)

Ciao Luigio,

Given that the original post asked for recommendations of campsites where to stop, making your post somehow pertinent, we will leave your post on the thread. Since we (forum administrators) CAN see the email with which you signed up while the rest of our forum readers cannot, we KNOW Camping Belmondo is yours - it is the same one published on the site you link to. There are Forum Rules for many reasons, the main one is that we want our forum to remain useful to everyone who uses it and not just a destination for self-publicity.

So please go ahead and modify your post: the original post from alliganl had questions about places to go to or to skip in Tuscany, she wanted ideas of an itinerary to follow and places to go to by the sea. As a resident of Tuscany, I am sure you have your own favorites of places you love, from restaurants to towns to beaches: please share them with all of us!!
If you continue to do this on the forum, you'll become a true member of the community and, through it, be able to transparently promote your farm as well.

Camping in Tuscany

Dear alliganl,

I don't personally think you'll save money by renting a campervan and then moving around Tuscany.

As Lourdes mentioned campervan are generally for more then 2 people and above all are expensive. Daily rents go from 100 to 200 euros and you have to think about camping sites costs and fuel. I would like you to reflect also about driving in Italy with a campervan. Most of the streets in Tuscany are two lane roads and are often narrow and curvy.

Have you thought about camping? Why don't you bring with you tent and sleeping bags? You can rent a car for less money than a campervan and still make a beautiful and low cost trip.

Since you want to visit new areas in Tuscany I agree with Lourdes and suggest you head to Maremma. I personally love this area since it has so many things to see and to do. You have beautiful beaches, delightful towns, thermal baths, good food and wine. Here you find our guide about Maremma.

I hope my suggestions help you in planning your trip to Italy, don't hesitate to come back if you any more questions :D