Day Trip to Rome from Tuscany

Melissa Nickles

Greetings,

I will be staying in Radda in Chianti, and am planning to take a two night trip to Rome. I have a rental car, and was hoping to park it at the closest train terminal to Radda in Chianti and then take the train to Rome to avoid the hassle/restrictions of having a car in the city. Could anyone advise? What is the closest train terminal to Radda in Chianti that can access Rome (preferably by fast train). And is it possible to park a car for two nights at the train terminal? Thank you!

If you want the fastest trains, those leave from Florence. But I wouldn't recommend to come into Florence to leave by train -- parking in Florence can be a nightmare, plus it is expensive.

So my recommendation would be to drive to Arezzo and hop on a train there. There is street parking -- but you have to pay careful attention as to time limits -- as well as private parking (an example is this one: http://www.atamarezzo.it/multipiano.asp?tx=1 which costs 3 euro per day but is 4 blocks from the train station). I found another private garage (Eritrea) closer to the station but don't know how much it costs. I've contacted them to see if they reply with more details.

Thank you!

If you want the fastest trains, those leave from Florence. But I wouldn't recommend to come into Florence to leave by train -- parking in Florence can be a nightmare, plus it is expensive.

So my recommendation would be to drive to Arezzo and hop on a train there. There is street parking -- but you have to pay careful attention as to time limits -- as well as private parking (an example is this one: http://www.atamarezzo.it/multipiano.asp?tx=1 which costs 3 euro per day but is 4 blocks from the train station). I found another private garage (Eritrea) closer to the station but don't know how much it costs. I've contacted them to see if they reply with more details.

That is very helpful! I had hoped to find some other alternative than the Florence to Rome connection. Thank you! That private garage looks perfect. I tried to navigate the website to see if it was first-come-first-served, or if you can reserve; and if you can leave your car for three days and then pay when you pick up, or if you prepay...difficult to navigate.

Last edited:
That is very helpful! I had hoped to find some other alternative than the Florence to Rome connection. Thank you! That private garage looks perfect. I tried to navigate the website to see if it was first-come-first-served, or if you can reserve; and if you can leave your car for three days and then pay when you pick up, or if you prepay...difficult to navigate.

Hello Melissa,

Did you manage to get some info about that parking? We are visiting Tuscany in July, and are also looking for a place to leave our car somewhere for a few days and go to Rome by train. But as you said, the site is not easy to navigate, especially when I don't know any italian...

I sent them an email in english, but did not get any response yet.