Arezzo

Dianne3223

Staying in Cortona for week in August without car. Plan to do train trips to explore nearby towns. I've read that Arezzo is in two sections, top and bottom. Trains appear to arrive in bottom section? How difficult would it be to get to the top section? My husband has had a knee replacement, certain amounts of walking are fine but depends how big Arezzo is? If anyone has suggestions of other towns to see nearby it would be appreciated. I had thought of Sansepolcro, Lucignano and Arezzo but if anyone knows these will be too difficult to negotiate please advise.

Arezzo is not to miss

Buongiorno,

Arezzo train station is at the base of the city - and from there it is a steady climb to the top of the hill. However, I believe taken in small pieces - stopping and enjoying the various points of interest along the way it can be very do-able. Sometimes the climb is barely noticeable...and sometimes it is a bit more steep….but personally, totally worth it. I love this city and all of its hidden treasures.

Have a look at this article for a suggested walking itinerary. The steepest part is from Piazza San Francesco to the Cathedral. (but there are so many cute little bars along the way...you might be tempted to stop at each one :cool: )

http://www.discovertuscany.com/arezzo/walking-tour-arezzo.html

I also suggest you look at Castiglione del Lago and Chiusi - both to the south of Cortona and both accessible by train.

Buon Viaggio,
Donna Denise

Buongiorno,

Arezzo train station is at the base of the city - and from there it is a steady climb to the top of the hill. However, I believe taken in small pieces - stopping and enjoying the various points of interest along the way it can be very do-able. Sometimes the climb is barely noticeable...and sometimes it is a bit more steep….but personally, totally worth it. I love this city and all of its hidden treasures.

Have a look at this article for a suggested walking itinerary. The steepest part is from Piazza San Francesco to the Cathedral. (but there are so many cute little bars along the way...you might be tempted to stop at each one :cool: )

http://www.discovertuscany.com/arezzo/walking-tour-arezzo.html

I also suggest you look at Castiglione del Lago and Chiusi - both to the south of Cortona and both accessible by train.

Buon Viaggio,
Donna Denise

Thank you so much. I had read that article and had so wanted to go, just couldn't visualise the possibility. Now I can, and I will now check out those other towns. Again, thank you very much