Suggestions for 92 year old with limited mobility in Tuscany

Hello fellows,
I am taking my 92 year old father on a 12 night cruise in October. Afterwards, he would like to spend a couple days in a typical small Tuscan town. I am only aware of places where walking and bicycles are the only available transportation inside the walls, which will not work with his limited walking ability. Can any of you recommend an itinerary which is appropriate for travelers with limited mobility. He would b perfectly happy to walk a little, sit for a nice meal and glass of wine, or coffee and sweets, and enjoy the magical views. We can travel there by train or car from Civitavecchia and will be returning to Rome prior to departure back to US. Thank you for any suggestions.

I suggest getting a car in Civitavecchia and driving into Tuscany. You can stay in a small rural town if you want to be surrounded by locals or in a villa or farmhouse where you can enjoy the countryside and just relax and enjoy the views. Yes, most towns will require some walking but he can most definitely take frequent stops to enjoy local offerings. You can certainly enjoy Siena as a day trip but would not suggest it as your base, since it is pretty big and hilly. I would suggest either Pienza, San Quirico d'Orcia or Montalcino as good bases (all pretty flat and small, even if Montalcino is at the top of a hill). You'll need the car to move around between the towns but at least you'll be independent and move around at your own pace. For places, start your search here: http://www.tuscanyaccommodation.com/val-d-orcia/
Keep in mind October is a great month - the high season is winding down but weather should still be great!

Traveling in October

Buongiorno,

Lourdes is right about Val d’Orcia. It is a lovely area, and will really give you that small town feel of Tuscany. One of my favorite little towns in the area is Bagno Vignoni, a little touristy but definitely beautiful for just finding a local cafe and people watching. You will find lots of B&B’s right in the town center.

I just spent a day at Chiusi - small and very friendly. If you are looking to just stay and absorb, without doing a lot of day trips, then here is where you will find authentic local color.

Buon Viaggio,
Donna Denise