20th Wedding Anniversary November 2016

Scottw

Hi,

We are from Australia and I am looking at taking my wife to Tuscany for our 20th Wedding Anniversary in early November 2016 and was wondering what the weather is generally like in Tuscany that time of the year and whether everything is open that time of year as we went to the Cinque Terra a few years ago in early October and everything looked like it was starting to close up for the autumn/winter.

I noticed on one of Lourdes previous posts she recommended a B&B Palazzo Malaspina as a good place to stay. Is this still a good place to base yourself. We will probably fly into Rome (from Australia) and then head up to Tuscany (maybe a few days in Florence, couple days in Siena, Lucca & would like to spend a few days in the countryside or small village to do some cooking classes/wine tasting or similar). We may head up to Venice or down to the Amalfi Coast afterwards before going back to Rome to fly out. Probably looking at 2 weeks in total. Some recommendations of where to stay and places to see would be great.

I was planning on taking the train from Rome to Florence or Sienna and then maybe get a car up there or is it best to hire a car in Rome although the traffic in Rome looks hectic.

Romantic 20 years

Buongiorno,

It would be a lovely trip by car if you feel up to the driving - maybe a stop in Orvieto, Chiusi, Chianciano before arriving in Florence.

However the train into Florence is an excellent option, I always travel to Rome by train. You could look at doing at least one (or two nights) in the city center before heading out to Palazzo Malaspina with the car.

As per the B&B - I have been there (you can read my review here) and it is definitely a lovely place to base yourself ….beautiful and romantic.

Buon Viaggio,
Donna Denise

Thanks Donna.

Where is a good place to stay in Florence?

Also has anyone got some good recommendations of cooking classes and wineries to visit around San Donato.

Your holiday in tuscany in november

Buongiorno,

We have read your request and for your holiday around Siena you could consider staying in the beautiful countryside near Siena, in Sovicille for example. It's a small medieval village at only 13 kms from Siena, where you can apreciate nature but also the nearness to Siena. For your cooking classes or wine tastings, here has some examples: www.trecciano.it, www.chianticooking.com, www.scuoladicucinadilella.net.

We wish a nice holiday.

Molto Bene. Great Holiday in Florence & Tuscany. Thank you!

Hi Donna,

We returned from Italy a couple of weeks ago and wish to thank you for the great recommendations. We stayed 3 nights in Villa Antea which was a great location and the accommodation was fantastic. The staff were extremely helpful and the rooms beautiful. We will definitely go back to Florence in the future as we had such a great time seeing the sights and we had some great meals at the restaurants recommended by Villa Antea (Perseus for the Florentina Steak and Taverna Bronzino.

We also stayed at Palazzo Malaspina for 3 nights in San Donato which was also fantastic. What a beautiful town and place to stay. Maria and Mary were great hosts and served a delicious breakfast each day. It was very central to Chianti and a good base to go to Siena and all the other great towns in the area. Once again we had some awesome meals in the town. Palazzo Pretorio had some of the best pizza we tried in all of Italy. Wish I was back there right now.

Molto bene