10 -14 days alone in Tuscany, rental car or train? Staying in two cities or moving?

Javiera

Hi! I´m travelling to Tuscany from Milán (my flight lands on Milán) on August by myself and I´m having trouble deciding two things:

- First, if to rent a car or move around by train, I´m a new driver so I don´t feel completely comfortable driving but I want to have the best experience possible! this trip has been my dream for years! And if the best option is train, should I buy tickets just in the moment? A friend of mine mentioned a train pass, that I would save a lot of money buying it, is that true?

- Then, should I stay in Florence and another city in the south and use them as base and do daily trips? Or stay in different towns? I love wine and food, and nature, vineyards, like I said, I've been dreaming about all that tuscany landscapes since years ago.

- Oh! and last thing, is there any relaxing paradisiac type beach nearby? At first I was thinking on maybe travelling the last few days to Sardinia to end up with a relaxing beach experience but maybe there are some nice beaches to recommend in Tuscany.

I would be so greatful for any recommendation/advice!!

Thanks!!

on your own with a car

Buongiorno,

Not only as a first time drive - but also costs, I would suggest taking the train. It is easy to use and gives you the opportunity to meet new people (Italian and non-Italian).

If you use the train, then Florence is probably your best base because it will give you lots of different opportunities to travel (using both train and bus). Have a look at this place to stay, they have a one room flat in the city center - close to the trains and buses and some neat views: http://www.visitflorence.com/florence-apartments/la-medicea-residence.html

With the money you save using the train (and not a rental car) you can invest it in a couple of fun organized tours which will allow you to visit Florence more in depth...have a look at this article where we highlight some of our first choice tours: http://www.discovertuscany.com/tuscany-tours/

Buon Viaggio,
Donna Denise

You could divide up your 2 weeks into 2 and stay in Florence for the first one, then take a train + ferry to Elba (during the summer there are buses that make it easy to move around without a car around the island). That way you get the best of both dreams you are having for your stay! :D

Just make sure to book as soon as you can, since it is high season and a lot of places get booked up fast!

Train pass?

Thank you both!

And about the train pass? worth it? It's the typical Italy train pass or there's a special one for the region?

Thanks!

Skip the pass and just do leg to leg travel, it generally costs less. Most of those train passes are not offered directly bu Trenitalia so have markups in cost and limit you to types of trains. You can buy tickets the day of travel or the day before, if you want to take a faster train you do need to have a seat reserved but for solo travelers it generally is not a problem to find a seat open somewhere on any train!

Hey again! Another question.. I hadn't think about Elba, but now that you mentioned it I googled a bit and it's so beautiful, but I don't get what can you do there.. Maybe 2 nights would be better in there? or there are some nice "italian" or "mediterranean"things to do in ther? Also, some friends mentioned Cinque Terre.. what do you think is more worth it to see, Cinque Terre or Elba?

Thanks!!

An island in Tuscany

Buongiorno,

Elba is definitely spectacular! I have been there a couple of times on holidays and I especially loved the SCUBA diving in the crystal clear waters. Have a read here for some ideas of what you can look forward to on the island.

https://www.discovertuscany.com/elba/

As for places to stay there are quite a few, with great views or direct beach access:
https://www.discovertuscany.com/elba/hotel-ilio.html
http://www.tuscanyaccommodation.com/la-vecchia-scuola.html
http://www.tuscanyaccommodation.com/la-vecchia-scuola.html

Buon Viaggio,
Donna Denise

Just 7 days based on florence or maybe staying a couple of nights somewhere else?

Hi again! Thank you so much for your help! I've been talking to some friends and I've been told since I´m starting from Milan I should just skip Milan and visit Verona and Venice before heading to Tuscany.. so I was thinking maybe just 1 week in Tuscany and then 3 nights in Elba to comeback the last night in MIlán to go shopping before my flight back at midnight..

So, my question.. you would still recommend using Florence as a base for the 6-7 nights? or maybe using Florence for the first 3 or 4 nights and then 2-3 nights somewhere else like Siena? Also, Chianti is doable without a car?

I've been recommended by almost everyone to have a plan but only book the first 1 or 2 nights and then just "go with the flow" so I can change my mind and decide to spend one less night or one more night whenever I am.. For example maybe with just 1 night in Venice I´m ready to head to Tuscany and maybe I want 2.. etc.. What do you think about that? I´m willing to pay a bit more for the chance to "go with the flow" but I don´t have unlimited budget..

Thanks!!

go with the flow

Buongiorno,

I too like to travel and “go with the flow”...but if I am travelling in high season, I also really like to know I have a sure thing for a place to sleep...so it is really your call.

Chianti is not really that practical without a car - as an alternative you look into doing it with an organized tour. You can look at one of the classical tours, or you could check out a bike & wine tour. I did one just recently with Lourdes and we had a great time and finished in Siena - with enough time to walk around and check out the city. (see the article.)

Buon Viaggio,
Donna Denise

As much as I would like to suggest the "go with the flow" mentality, since you are coming in AUGUST, which is PEAK tourist season in all of Italy, I would not choose this method this time around. Maybe if you were coming anytime between October and May, I would.

Two reasons: higher cost for what you find last minute, but also less choice!
You will have to likely go with what you find, so as to not waste too much time out of your day figuring out where you'll sleep that night or the next. Your time here will fly, trust me, so you really don't want to spend too much of it figuring out where you'll be sleeping that night.

I suggest leaving flexibility in what you do every single day, with an idea of what is in each place you visit and just deciding what to actually do once you're here.

Chianti is not easily doable without a car. You can most definitely divide the week in two, with half of it in Florence and the other part in Siena. From both, you can take day trips by train or bus.
From Florence, you can take day trips to Pisa and Lucca, as well as into Chianti.
From Siena, you can take day trips to San Gimignano and the Val d'Orcia.

Chianti and Val d'Orcia cannot either be easily on your own with public transport; for both of those, I would recommend looking into a group tour you can join that will take you there and around. You can take a look at the many possibilities on here: http://www.partner.viator.com/en/8357/ (just do a search).

Leaving Milan towards the end sounds fine, as well as doing it at first. There is no wrong way to go about it really.

One last reminder: keep in mind August 15th is a national holiday, not sure when you are coming so not sure at what point it will fall in your schedule (and if it does). As such, public transport is limited and many shops are closed -- many attractions should be open, but it is also a Monday so if you're in Florence, we don't know yet but the Uffizi and Accademia might remain closed (they are always closed on Mondays).

August 15th in Siena

Lourdes, I should be in Siena I think on August 15th, either in the city or San Gimignano I guess.. Bad idea?

Thanks!

The Palio is in Siena on the 16th so you're in the right place at the right time!! make sure to enjoy Siena on both days, the atmosphere should be great!
If you want to try SG on the 15th, I checked and there are buses there and back - one at around 10.40am that would work well and a return either at 5 or 7 something (timetables here: http://www.busfox.com/timetable/?from=siena&to=san+gimignano&date=15/08/2016&time=08:00 )

If you have the time, I would stay in Siena both days! :D

Palazzo bruchi in Siena safe place?

Hi!

I'll stay from 14th to 17th in Siena there so It will be perfect! Can I ask for your opinion on something? Palazzo Bruchi in Siena is already booked via Booking.com but they have availability doing it direct with the, The problem is that they are asking me to send my credit card info vía email and that is not safe at all. Is it a good and known place? It has tons of good reviews but I always get suspicious when somebody wants me to send my credit card info via email. I don't know where else to stay that is a good place, well located, not that pricey (no more than 100 -120 eur per night) and with availability :S Any recommendations?

Thanks!!

Javi

My impression is that as a small B&B they don't have the means to ask for your credit card safely online and that is their alternative proposal. That they didn't put all their rooms on Booking.com just shows they are smart and not turning over the residence to the power of multinationals ;-).

I would suggest send the # by fax instead (it is safer) or, in alternative, by email but in fragments and over several emails. In the unlikely case one was to be intercepted, the whole number is not available!!
Another alternative is over the phone!

Siena on those days of the Palio is definitely pricey so if you found something that meets your basic requirements, I say go for it!