Renting a car to travel to/from Florence to San Gimignano

essigmom

I will be travelling with 3 others in late September from Florence to San Gimignano to spend a few days. We will be staying in the locale at an agriturismo facility and plan to drive to/from other locations. We need to rent a car to travel to SG from Florence and return the car to Florence at the end. Is it best to arrange a rental at the airport and return to the same same since we will be flying out the day it is returned? Also, we need car rental information (contacts). Thank you!

car rental

Buongiorno,

If you are arriving to the airport and going directly to SG - then yes I would suggest getting the car right away. If you are staying overnight in Florence before heading out then, I suggest you wait. You can pick up the car the next day or the day of departure from Florence - even in the city center of Florence.

This article offers some pointers about renting a car in Tuscany.
http://www.discovertuscany.com/tuscany-car-rental/

Buon Viaggio,
Donna Denise

Car rental

Thank you so much for your suggestion. We are staying in Florence for several days first and prefer to get a car right before we leave for SG.

Buongiorno,

If you are arriving to the airport and going directly to SG - then yes I would suggest getting the car right away. If you are staying overnight in Florence before heading out then, I suggest you wait. You can pick up the car the next day or the day of departure from Florence - even in the city center of Florence.

This article offers some pointers about renting a car in Tuscany.
http://www.discovertuscany.com/tuscany-car-rental/

Buon Viaggio,
Donna Denise

Car rental

Thank you for your suggestion. We will check out the link for car rental locations. Hopefully we will be able to return the car to the airport in Florence even if we do not rent from that location.

Best,

Essigmom

You should also take a look at the page on Visit Florence as it has more details on the location of the majority of the car rental agencies near the SMN train station:
http://www.visitflorence.com/florence-car-rental/

Renting a car in Florence

I've been told (and read) that you should not pick up a car in Florence city center to drive to SG. Best to get car from airport since we will be driving back to the airport to leave country. Is this true? If so, how long does it take to get to the airport? Thx again!

Thank you so much for your suggestion. We are staying in Florence for several days first and prefer to get a car right before we leave for SG.

Check rates out for both locations to see the difference. Renting from downtown and heading out of town is fine as regards driving downtown, there are a lot of one way streets to deal with but if you ask at the counter for a route to get to the Firenze-Siena road they should map it for you.

If you choose to rent from the airport, I'd suggest a taxi - about 20-30 min (depends on time of day) and flat fee to the airport from downtown of 20 euro.