Tuscany

JIT1217

Hello again:

I'm learning so much about Italy. I can't decide where we should visit. If we are interested in historical stuff (somewhat), beautiful countrysides, wine, Italian food, but a very important part of our trip would be following the locals in what they love, hopefully chatting, going to their hangouts, etc. Based on this idea, what are the places you would suggest, if planning our trip. We'll be based in Pratovecchio and be in Tuscany and a bit of Umbria for 25 days. We don't want to go 90 mph visiting every "must see." Hoping for a relaxing visit in a charming country.

Thanx, in advance.

The location of Pratovecchio itself will "make" you slow down! Enjoy the area of the Casentino itself, and then explore further away. I would follow Donna's suggestions about the car rental, it really is an area where bus/train service isn't optimal. You can get to Florence or Arezzo and from there take trains to further away areas if you want to take a break from driving.

As far as what to see, I would work on the round perimeter from where you are -- so start exploring further away only after you've arrived, relaxed and taken in the local atmosphere. That will for sure not make you run around to "see" everything. Remain flexible and be willing to change plans while you're here, too. If you're based in Pratovecchio for the entire 25 days, I would focus more on day trips that you can return to your villa at the end of the day, so that will also limit your range. I don't think you will feel like you missed out!