Getting around Tuscany

WendyB

Hello,
We are visiting Tuscany shortly, using Greve as our base. Some of the day trips out we were thinking of doing are the obvious Florence, Pisa, Lucca and Siena. We were thinking of using public transport to visit these cities as that might be easier and cheaper than driving (we have hired a car). Can anyone give us any tips on how to get from Greve to these places and which method of transport would be better bus / train etc. Grazie mille!

I think (from what i read somewhere ) as I am trying to get info to put together my own Tuscan schedule that there is bus connection from Chianti to Lucca and from Lucca you can go by train to Pisa or Firenze (maybe Siena). Try to look at trenitalia web. http://www.trenitalia.com/

Wendy --

From Greve, I would drive to Pisa and Siena, it is easier and more direct than first taking bus into Florence, then train/bus. In the case of Siena, you're then backtracking back south.
The same goes for Lucca.

All of these cities have ZTL areas, you won't go into them without first driving a piece in the town and pretty much for all you need to drive through old city WALLS to go into the ZTL. As long as you avoid that and follow signs for parking, you'll be fine!
Plus, if you already hired a car for those days, you're already paying for it -- your major expense here is gas. The roads to Siena and Pisa are free, if you do Pisa and Lucca on the same day, the only toll road is from Lucca to Florence.

The only one I really recommend taking the bus to in Florence.! It is easy from Greve!