Staying central

DRT

We are visiting Italy by train and spending about 10 days in Calabria. We are flying back to the UK from Pisa and would like to spend 4 days in Tuscany to visit Florence and Siena. Rather than move hotels we would like to stay in one central area and use public transport to visit these two cities. Any suggestions on which towns/cities would be most suitable in terms of moving around and where public transport would not be a problem?

thanks

Central locations

Dear DRT,

the most central location is definitely Florence. The city is well connected by public transport to other main destinations in Tuscany and I think it is the perfect location for moving around without a car.

From Florence you take the SITA bus to Siena which takes about 1 hour (it makes no stops along the way). You can look for ideas on what to see in Siena in one day to have a better idea of what to see.
I also suggest you think about spending a day in Chianti for wine tastings or just to visit this beautiful area in Tuscany. I recommend you read this article about visiting wineries in Chianti by bus.

In addition, it is easy to get to Pisa from Florence for when you'll need to catch your flight back home. From Florence's train station you can either take a Terravision bus to the Pisa airport or the train which also goes to the Pisa airport - check the trenitalia.com site for timetables.

Hope these suggestions are helpful in planning your short vacation in Tuscany :D