Bus roundtrip between Florence and Greve

JessB

Help Please! My plan on November 2 is to travel from Florence to Greve for the day. Are there still late buses this time of year? I found the 365 SITA bus schedule, but I don't understand what all the column mean. The left column has a list of towns, but I don't understand if the times are for arrivals/departures and I don't know how to tell what the destination is. Can anyone clarify how to read the schedule and/or let me know if I will be able to stay in Greve until 19:00?

Thank you!

This is the link you found: http://www.acvbus.it/orari/365.pdf right?

I'll offer some tips on reading the schedule since this is the format you'll find all schedules in and it will be useful to learn how to read them, for buses as well as trains.

At the top of the page, you can see a list of towns -- it tells you the order, so the first seven pages start with Gaiole and end with Florence, so those are schedules to get back into Florence.

The far left column is the stops the bus makes, it generally makes a stop, picks up people and continues on its way. So the times are generally when to expect the bus at that stop.
You see it makes two stops in Greve and several in Florence. The main stop in Greve is right in front of the public library, in front of the Fuori piazza pizzeria/enoteca - here's a view: https://goo.gl/maps/jMAz7wWrpBn

At the top of the columns, there are some that say:
LUN-VEN --- means these buses run Monday-Friday
SAB --- runs on Saturdays
FESTIVO -- runs on Sundays and holidays

Nov 2 is not a national holiday (the day before is) and it's a Wednesday so look for columns that have LUN-VEN to identify those as the buses you'll find running that day.

I see there is a bus at 18.15 (coming from Panzano so this makes a stop and continues on) which arrives in Florence by 19.15 and another at 18.55 (which starts in Greve) that arrives in Florence at 19.50. So yes, it seems you can stay in Greve until late evening and then return to Florence by dinner time.

As for getting there, you can now take a look and see which bus you can take from Florence ;-)

Thank you!

Lourdes,

Thank you so much! Your explanation is super helpful. I appreciate the time you took to explain the format...it will definitely help us during our week in Tuscany! It is a relief knowing we will be able to enjoy a full day in Greve.

Jessica

If you want to enjoy some wine tastings in Greve, you can either consider the Enoteca Falorni in town, or just at the entrance to town the Cantina Uzzano or Fattoria Viticcio -- both are about .5-1 km from the bus stop in Greve back the way you entered town. We just did a wine tasting and tour of the winery at Viticcio this past week and the hospitality and wines are great. I would suggest you contact them ahead of time to book a visit, seeing the season is winding down :)
You'll find Greve to be on the sleepy side as the town transitions to fall/winter mood :D

Thank you for taking time to give suggestions! I didn't realize Vittico had a tasting room closer to Greve. I had ruled out the Castello to save time. Even though it isn't that far, I didn't want to plan too much--no one should be stressed for time in Chianti. We are renting bikes for the day and are trying to stay close to Greve to have a leisure day of biking, enjoying the scenery (fingers-crossed it isn't too rainy!), and drinking wine. I did reserve the Montefioralle Vineyard and Altiero, which is close by. And possibly Tenuta Risecolli. I am hoping that going to these three allows time to explore the countryside.

There are just so many choices! I have already decided we have to come back because one trip will not be enough.