Transportation options from Ostiense to Firenze Santa Maria Novella

Ngoldston

We are planning at trip to Italy, flying into Rome. After two nights in Rome, we are traveling to Florence- staying in Ognissanti area. We are trying to get our tickets from Ostiense station in Rome to Santa Maria Novella. What's the best way to travel and can we prepurchase the necesssary tickets?

I checked trenitalia.com and italotreno.it and both have either Roma Termini or Roma Tiburtina as departing stations from Rome, not Ostiense. So check which one of these other two are easier for you to reach. I see Italo Treno has cheaper tickets at the moment, you can purchase online with credit card.
You want to head to Firenze Santa Maria Novella, Ognissanti is just a few blocks south.

Tuscany Help

I checked trenitalia.com and italotreno.it and both have either Roma Termini or Roma Tiburtina as departing stations from Rome, not Ostiense. So check which one of these other two are easier for you to reach. I see Italo Treno has cheaper tickets at the moment, you can purchase online with credit card.
You want to head to Firenze Santa Maria Novella, Ognissanti is just a few blocks south.

______
Lourdes, I am liking your comments on the Forum. I have never jumped on one of these, so I appreciate your help.

We are traveling to Paris in December, then on to Venice. We arrive in Venice for New Years (29th, 30th, 31st ), then we are taking the train from Venice to Florence on the 1st. A. What should we do in Florence that day (stay there that night or move on to Siena). I have seen some of your suggestions on Florence to Siena (Chianti, etc.). We are looking to have home base be Siena and do day trips from there.

B. We plan on renting a car in Florence to get to Siena (I want to avoid the driving issues, so where should we rent this car and then we can be on the move). Any help is appreciated.

C. Suggested day trips :) we haven't booked our hotel/Airbnb so are open to suggestions.

D. Plan is to travel to Rome early on the 4th of Jan, do Rome in a day and fly out of Rome to Geneva that night late. Should we return the rental in Siena and just train to Rome (times are limited it seems), or can we return car in Rome (get going really early :))

Thanks - Grazie mille

Bryan

It seems you are not planning to spend any time in Florence overall, other than the first day, correct? If you arrive on Jan 1st, keep in mind it would be better to stay put that day as both train and bus schedules are reduced given the holiday, and many museums and sights are closed. So if you want to see something in Florence, you can enjoy the outdoors and walking around the city on that day but wait until the next to visit places.

If you want to avoid driving completely, Siena (as well as Florence) make a great base while NOT having a car.

First, read this for recommendations on accommodations: https://www.discovertuscany.com/tuscany-accommodation/where-to-stay-without-a-car.html

and this one for day trips from Siena without a car: https://www.discovertuscany.com/siena/what-to-do/day-trips-from-siena.html

That way you can continue on to Rome -- by bus is better than train, takes less time and no backtracking to Florence. Read the last part from Rome to Siena (works both ways): https://www.discovertuscany.com/siena/tourist-info/getting-to-siena-without-a-car.html