Forward Planning Oct 2017

SallyM

Friends and I are planning an October 2017 visit. As part of our month long visit my friends will walk 5-7 days in Chianti hills from Florence to Siena. My knees will not allow me this distance! So my first question revolves around the 7 days they are walking, and I will make my own arrangements. Can you suggest a village/town to stay 2-3 nights in the area they are walking through, join in some walking, enjoying their company, seeing that beautiful Tuscan area, plus then get down to Assisi for 2-3 nights. Is there some other place in that line of travel that I shouldn't miss out on? My second question is, should I hire a small car for that period of time, or will buses/trains be just as easy. Or if a car, any recommendations on type of car and handy tips for driving on Italian roads? And if I'm allowed a third question ... travelling by train/bus from Siena to Monterosso al Mare - is this complicated? Thank you!

three questions

Buongiorno,

no one is counting the questions - so you can ask as many as you want :cool:

as for where to stay in Chianti, actually it would help to know the groups walking itinerary and then maybe I could make a suggestion based on the route they are taking and the towns they will be stopping in.

I would suggest getting a car, Chianti is not easy to navigate with public transport. There is public transport, but it is not frequent and doesn't reach everywhere.

As for traveling to Cinque Terre (Monterosso), it is possible to get there by train. Coming in from Siena will add time to your program, but you will probably go into Empoli and then over to Pisa in order to catch a train to La Spezia. You will change trains in La Spezia for Cinque Terre. It is a long trip and you are depending on some precision timing... which can be a bit of a challenge.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

Buongiorno e grazie Donna Denise ... for your response and apologies for my delay in replying. I have taken your advice and will hire a small car for that week, base myself in Siena to either meet up with friends walking the hills or go off on my own for a time. Concerned about getting to Cinqueterra. I will probably hire the car from Florence and therefore return the car back to Florence before then finding our way from Florence to Cinqueterra. So from what I understand, we need to get to La Spezia and change there for Monterosso in Cinqueterra?? That day however, I will be driving from Assisi back to Florence, and then by public transport to La Spezia/Monterosso. Is that possible do you think? This will be in October.

Cinque Terre

Buongiorno,

so sorry! I just saw your reply today.

That is possible. It is a 2 hour & 15 min drive to Florence - give yourself 2 hours and 40 minutes (traffic and finding the rental car place).

Timing will be important, but it is another, almost, 3 hours to La Spezia. And then the waiting for the train for Monterosso.

I won't kid you, it will be a long day. Maybe it would make it an easier day if your trip to Assisi was a day trip from your base in Siena (instead of spending the night in Assisi) - so as not to have so much traveling on one day??

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise