Should i take train from rome to siena or rent a car?

Ocha88

Hi!

im planning to visit siena, pienza and montepulcino. Should i rent a car from rome and drive or take a train from rome to siena and then rent a car in siena? Thanks for ur help

Rome to Siena

Buongiorno,

If you are going to take a couple of days to do this trip then I would train it to Orvieto, stay overnight in this great little town, and then rent a car.

I suggest that you also look at an itinerary that takes you on the back roads up the road called via Cassia. It is very panoramic and will take you by Lake Bolsena, Acquapendente, Radicofani, Bagno San Filippo, Montepucliano (including some of the great smaller towns like Sarteano, Cetona and Chiusi). Then head over towards Pienza, Bagno Vignoni and San Quirico before ending up in Siena.

day 1 Oriveto - one day sleep there pick up car the next day

Day 2 Via Cassia - back roads maybe a stop at the thermal waters of Bagno San Filippo end in Montepulciano

Day 3 Montepulciano - Pienza (for views and shopping) Bagno Vignoni for lunch - San Quirico and end in Siena

Day 4 Siena

If you have just one day, I think you will be pushing it to include everything that you want to see. However, I would still recommend a car in Orvieto and a straight drive to Siena with a stop at Bagno Vignoni, Montalcino and then Siena.

Buon Viaggio
Donna Denise

Buongiorno,

If you are going to take a couple of days to do this trip then I would train it to Orvieto, stay overnight in this great little town, and then rent a car.

I suggest that you also look at an itinerary that takes you on the back roads up the road called via Cassia. It is very panoramic and will take you by Lake Bolsena, Acquapendente, Radicofani, Bagno San Filippo, Montepucliano (including some of the great smaller towns like Sarteano, Cetona and Chiusi). Then head over towards Pienza, Bagno Vignoni and San Quirico before ending up in Siena.

day 1 Oriveto - one day sleep there pick up car the next day

Day 2 Via Cassia - back roads maybe a stop at the thermal waters of Bagno San Filippo end in Montepulciano

Day 3 Montepulciano - Pienza (for views and shopping) Bagno Vignoni for lunch - San Quirico and end in Siena

Day 4 Siena

If you have just one day, I think you will be pushing it to include everything that you want to see. However, I would still recommend a car in Orvieto and a straight drive to Siena with a stop at Bagno Vignoni, Montalcino and then Siena.

Buon Viaggio
Donna Denise

Hi, thanks for your replies!
I tried to find rental cars from orvieta at autoeurope or hertz, but it seems there are no available for my date. Is there any alternative cities or location that i can rent from? And if you don't mind, can you give me a suggestion on where to stay at tuscany area? This is my first time to go to Tuscany, and it feels like all the hotels and villas are so beautiful I can't even pick one :D.
Thanks so much!

Finding a rental car

Buongiorno,

I suggest that you look also into the city of Orte or Fabro, both are very close and hopefully large enough to have a rental agency.

Here are a few places you could look into for an overnight stay:

in the city center of Siena: http://www.tuscanyaccommodation.com/hotel-athena.html

cozy B&B: http://www.tuscanyaccommodation.com/borgo-argenina.html

in the surrounding countryside: http://www.tuscanyaccommodation.com/hotel-le-fontanelle.html

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise