Logistics advice for our time in Tuscany

Melinda

My husband and I will be visiting Florence/Tuscany in October. We are flying in/out of Rome (using miles) and will then take the train to Florence for 3 days. From there we will take the train to the CT for 2 days. From the CT we will travel to Tuscany and base ourselves in Greve for 4 days before returning to Rome to spend 2 days and fly home.

We plan to rent a car to use during our time in Tuscany. We will be visiting Pisa, Lucca, Chianti, San Gimignano, and Siena. This is where I need some help. What makes the most sense as far as picking up/dropping off rental car?

Option 1 is to pick up the car in La Spezia and return in either Siena or Orvieto then take the train to Rome.
Option 2 is to pick up the car in La Spezia and return it in Florence then take the hi-speed train back to Rome.

Are there better options for picking up/dropping off the car and returning to Rome? Ideas are appreciated.

Pick up & Drop off

Buongiorno,

If it is possible with your car rental agency - then pick up in La Spezia and drop off in Orvieto.

And be sure to leave some time for Orvieto...I loved it. You could take a beautiful scenic route from Siena, Montalcino, San Quirico, Bagno Vignoni, Bagno San Fillipo, Acquapendente and then Orvieto. I have done this several times with friends and family and they loved the scenery. Anyone of these places is worth a stop!

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

Hi Donna,

Looks like we'll be picking up our rental car on Sunday so Pisa airport is our only option in that area. Any other pick up places near Cinque Terre open on Sunday?

Thanks,
Melinda

Pick-up

At that point, I would go with Florence and just drive it over to La Spezie - without have to deal with a train change to Pisa.

Dona