Tuscan itinerary!

Paulo5

In September, my wife and I will be spending a week at a retreat in Umbertide (having visited Orvieto and Assisi while enroute from Rome), after which we'll make our way by car to Florence, where we'll spend 3 or 4 nights, then head by train to the Cinque Terre, and then to Venice.

Having never been to Tuscany (or anywhere outside of Rome, for that matter), I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed trying to create an itinerary for that portion of our trip. Here are the broad strokes I have so far:

Day 1 - leave Umbertide mid-day, stay the night in Montepulciano.
Day 2 - explore Montepulciano, Pienza, Montalcino, Val D'Orcia. Spend the night in Siena.
Day 3 - explore Siena, Monteriggioni, Santa Gimignano, Volterra, Chianti. Drop off car and spend night in Florence.
Day 4 - explore Florence and spend night there.
Day 5 - explore Florence and spend night there.
Day 5 - travel by train to Lucca and/or Pisa - spend night back in Florence.
Day 7 - depart Florence for the Cinque Terre.

I welcome any suggestions regarding this itinerary! For instance, are we moving around too much prior to Florence? Are there places you would add/subtract from this itinerary? Am I overnighting in the right places? I realize everything is subjective, but I welcome any input or ideas!

Full Itinerary

Buongiorno,

You have a pretty full itinerary - I hope your retreat preps you to be exploring! :eek:

Everything looks pretty good - however, a word of caution day 3 is jam packed, and you will probably spend all your time traveling and not visiting. I suggest that you narrow it down to one or two towns. Maybe just Siena and San Gimignano or even a leisurely tour through Chianti. But Volterra is (beautiful) but definitely adds lots of extra km to your route.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna

Revising our Tuscan itinerary

Thank you so much! This is very helpful. I will streamline our day 3 as you suggest -- we don't want to spend the entire day on the move, and see nothing!

Does overnighting in Montepulciano and Siena make sense? Are there better options, considering our route, time and itinerary?

Thanks again.

P

Florence?

Thanks Donna, these are great suggestions!

Do you think 4 nights is a good amount of time to spend in Florence (including a day trip to Lucca and/or Pisa), or would we be better off staying in Florence for only 3 nights and spending an additional night in the region south of the city?

P

waaayyyy too much on day 2,3

Day 1 - leave Umbertide mid-day, stay the night in Montepulciano.
Day 2 - explore Montepulciano, Pienza, Montalcino, Val D'Orcia. Spend the night in Siena.
Day 3 - explore Siena, Monteriggioni, Santa Gimignano, Volterra, Chianti. Drop off car and spend night in Florence.

Hi Paolo!
Just got back a few weeks ago....this is a mighty ambitious itinerary and I'm a real trooper!

Pienza was lovely but only offered a guided tour (reserve) of Palazzo Piccolomini-- which was really neat-- and the Duomo which is like all the other magnificent Duomo's in Italy. It's a town like all the others, so I would skip it.

Montalcino was a real downer; it was so hilly and had so many steps; the fortress like a fortress you can see elsewhere and the enotecas on every corner nothing worth the steps.

The Val d'Orcia offers a lovely drive but nowhere I would stop again.

Monteriggioni is a must! sweet, easy, little town with a neat museum and sweet shops; take about 1.5 - 2 hours; parking easy, walking pretty much flat, and you can walk the fortress wall. We already have reservations to go back!

Siena bigger and not condusive to a quick look...
San Gimignano, hilly, touristy, crowded....not planning a return.

MAY I suggest some wonderful, easy substitutions?

Fattoria Barbi Winery and Peasant Museum.....between Pienza and Montallcino....we will return many times; the Peasant Museum is sooo wonderful! as interesting and delightful as any well-known big-time museum; easy to get to, easy access, a few Euro, and a great winery and restaurant.

About 25 minutes away is Castel Banfi il Borgo; Mamma Mia, what a place...big, gorgeous, eay to get to, and the wine! and the prices! will return many times!

Cinque Terre is exhausting, beautiful though. Stayed in Portovenere and did the ferry to the other towns, shoulder season, extremely crowded. big hills to climb, lots of steps; be sure to coordinate parking/ferry times; not easy

San Galgano Abbey, north east of Montalcino on the way to Monteriggioni; has the original Sword in the stone....absolutely amazing.....easy parking; one of life's must-sees!

Well, I hope that gives you some good ideas!
Have a wonderful trip
Barbara

streamlining Tuscany

Thanks Barbara! I'm certainly looking to streamline what we do and see on those two days, and these are some very helpful suggestions. I'm also considering spending one less night in Florence (3 instead of 4) so that we can spend some more time in the regions south of the city, but I haven't decided yet.

What towns/cities in Tuscany did you overnight in on your trip? We're making our way from Umbertide to Florence over two nights, and I've been trying to figure out what makes most sense. Currently I'm thinking a night each in Montepulciano and Siena.

Best,
P

streamlining Tuscany

Thank you Barbara! I do intend to streamline our Tuscan itinerary, and these are very helpful suggestions! I'm also considering spending one less night in Florence (3 instead of 4)so we can spend more time in the regions south of the city, but I'm not sure yet.

Where did you overnight? Since we're driving from Umbertide to Florence over two (possibly three) nights, I'm currently thinking Montepulciano and Siena, but nothing is writ in stone yet.

Thanks again. I appreciate your insights!

P

Country Girl

Buongiorno,

When ever I have a choice I like to stay in the countryside :cool:

However, it really depends on how much you want to visit the museums, monuments and city - and you can seriously invest time in all of that while in Florence!

I think you should plan one day of just down time - or at least half a day of just down time where can enjoy a cooking lesson or some pool time or a good wine tour.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

I second Donna's suggestion - an extra day in the countryside as you make your way up from Umbria into Tuscany would not be a bad idea. Let's you take more time to see the countryside, spreading day 3 onto day 4...

You can thus do Siena and Monteriggioni on day 3, heading into Chianti as you circle back and head back to Siena for the night (or if you're open to moving every night, you could overnight in the Chianti area).

Then on day 4 visit San Gimignano and Volterra. I would do Volterra first, then SG. As Barbara says, SG can get crowded but this is mostly during the day when groups come in. Since you're coming in September, I think you'll do better.... but leaving it to afternoon is a better idea when more of the groups are gone. You can make your way to Florence by that night.

Another note on the itinerary:
Day 6 - why not spend the night in Lucca instead of backtracking back to Florence? You're closer to CT this way to start your day 7!

Most trains do have you go to Venice passing through Florence, but any time saved between Lucca and Florence on prior days makes the passage through Florence faster after your visit to CT.

less Florence?

Thank you Lourdes! I'm now starting to get a good handle on the Tuscany portion of our trip.

To be clear, are you suggesting I spend 2 instead of 4 nights in Florence? Our itinerary as (I think) you're describing it would then look like this:

Day 1 - leave Umbertide mid-day, spend the night in Montepulciano.
Day 2 - explore region between Montepulciano and Siena (e.g. Val D'Orcia, Pienza, Montalcino), spend night in Siena.
Day 3 - explore Siena, Monteriggioni; head into Chianti as we circle back for a 2nd night in Siena.
Day 4 - explore San Gimignano and Volterra. Spend night in Florence.
Day 5 - explore Florence. Spend 2nd night in Florence.
Day 6 - travel by train to Lucca (and Pisa?). Spend night in Lucca.
Day 7 - travel by train from Lucca to the Cinque Terre. Spend 4 nights in Cinque Terre, then take train to Venice.

I currently have four nights lodging booked in Florence, but could probably reduce it to two if you think this is a better use of our time. I also have 4 nights booked in Vernazza, but could possibly reduce it to 3 and add a night back to Florence. Your thoughts would be much appreciated!

I have yet to book anywhere to stay in Montepulciano or Siena, so will be taking a close look at Donna's recommendations!

Thanks again,
P

I second Donna's suggestion - an extra day in the countryside as you make your way up from Umbria into Tuscany would not be a bad idea. Let's you take more time to see the countryside, spreading day 3 onto day 4...

You can thus do Siena and Monteriggioni on day 3, heading into Chianti as you circle back and head back to Siena for the night (or if you're open to moving every night, you could overnight in the Chianti area).

Then on day 4 visit San Gimignano and Volterra. I would do Volterra first, then SG. As Barbara says, SG can get crowded but this is mostly during the day when groups come in. Since you're coming in September, I think you'll do better.... but leaving it to afternoon is a better idea when more of the groups are gone. You can make your way to Florence by that night.

Another note on the itinerary:
Day 6 - why not spend the night in Lucca instead of backtracking back to Florence? You're closer to CT this way to start your day 7!

Most trains do have you go to Venice passing through Florence, but any time saved between Lucca and Florence on prior days makes the passage through Florence faster after your visit to CT.

night in Florence and CT

Hello -

sounds like your itin is really coming together -- I like the variety!

I personally would stay with four nights in Florence (unless you want to do one in Lucca which is a great suggestion)

and I have spent time in CT, and though it is lovely I believe you will find 3 nights will be enough. Instead, with the variety and many things to see in Tuscany, I strongly suggest you a night to your time in Tuscany and maybe stay in San Gim or Chianti before heading to Florence.

If you add a night in Tuscany you could also add it in the Val d'Orcia area and find a way to include a relaxing afternoon at Bagno San Filippo (pack a picnic and cool a bottle of wine for the event!)

Donna Denise

Florence to Lucca?

I have a day on our itinerary for a trip from Florence to Lucca. Lourdes suggested overnighting in Lucca instead of returning to Florence for the night, since we're heading on to the Cinque Terre the next day anyway.

That certainly makes some sense, but I'm concerned about our luggage (we'll have abandoned the car and will be travelling by train now). The advantage of a day trip would be that we could leave our bags behind in Florence while spending the day in Lucca, but if we were to leave Florence behind, I don't imagine we'd be able to check into a hotel or B&B in Lucca before 2 or 3pm, which means dealing with our bags until then.

I'm trying to determine which would be the more convenient option, as well as the best use of a day, and as I don't have first-hand knowledge of the trains, distances, travel times, etc., any insights would be welcome!

Thanks,
P

Hello -

sounds like your itin is really coming together -- I like the variety!

I personally would stay with four nights in Florence (unless you want to do one in Lucca which is a great suggestion)

and I have spent time in CT, and though it is lovely I believe you will find 3 nights will be enough. Instead, with the variety and many things to see in Tuscany, I strongly suggest you a night to your time in Tuscany and maybe stay in San Gim or Chianti before heading to Florence.

If you add a night in Tuscany you could also add it in the Val d'Orcia area and find a way to include a relaxing afternoon at Bagno San Filippo (pack a picnic and cool a bottle of wine for the event!)

Donna Denise

Lucca or San Gimignano?

Miss Lourdes,
Which one do u suggest for a first encounter with the Tuscany nature Lucca or San Gimignano?

Lucca or SG

Buongirono,

I voted Lucca - San Gimignano is a beautiful place with a lovely landscape around it ... but if you want to walk and enjoy the nature up close, Lucca is a great town. With the very walkable town center, the fabulous city walls and the nearby villas with their lovely gardens, Lucca makes it easy to get close to nature.

Royal Villa
http://www.discovertuscany.com/lucca/villa-reale-marlia-near-lucca.html

Historical Villas & Gardens
http://www.discovertuscany.com/lucca/historical-villas-in-lucca.html

Wine & Olive oil: http://www.discovertuscany.com/itineraries-in-tuscany/strada-del-vino/lucca-wine-roads.html

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

Lucca for my birthday definetely

Fantastic links. Thanks.

I am going to Lucca for my birthday and once there I will eat chocolate at Cioccolato Cavalsani.