Advice on getting to Pienza, then San Quirico D'orcia, Montalcino..., without a car

Kash

Hello everyone,

I am planning a visit to Italy for the first time but in regard to Tuscany I don't know if what I have in mind is practical or I need to change it.

I am planning to begin from Roma and then head up to Pienza. What I would like to do is to overnight in Pienza (as a base) two or three nights to be able to visit San Quirico D'Orcia and Montepulciano and do some photography. Then I would like to head to Montalcino, overnight there for two days and head up to Siena. Now I don't want to drive and my worry is if this plan is at all practical without a car. I know that bus transportation in that region is kind of tricky, but I do have a bit of time to spare if necessary. Is getting to Pienza from Roma and then using Pienza as a base to the places nearby only through buses possible or not so practical or convenient for the peace of mind?

And if you do find my plan impractical, how would you advise me to adjust it or create an alternative one? (like for example, beginning from top, using Firenze or Siena as a base and coming down eventually finishing with Roma rather than beginning.)

I would be extremely grateful for any tips or advice.

Regards.

Getting around Val d'Orcia

Buongiorno,

If you are good with having to plan your movements around the public transport system, then you should be just fine. I don't know if you are much of a hiker, but there are also trails that go out to San Quirico, Montepulciano and Bagno Vignoni - giving you lots of photo opportunities. You could walk there and bus it back...giving you a bit more freedom with your travels.

There are actually several vineyards within walking distance of Montalcino which are worth a visit.
https://www.discovertuscany.com/what-to-do-in-tuscany/wine-tasting/montalcino-wine-itinerary.html

And the via Francigena is in this area as well with a good hiking trail:
https://www.discovertuscany.com/iti...ia-francigena/siena-to-monteroni-d-arbia.html

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

Hello Donna,

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply and tips. Greatly appreciate it!

I have one more question you might be able to help me with. Probably the most difficult part that comes to my mind is to get to Pienza from Roma. Would it be possible or is it common to find a taxi or driver in Roma to get me there straight so that I won't have to worry about getting to Chiusi and then Montepulciano and finally pienza? And generally in terms of the base, am I right to prefer Pienza over Montepulciano?

Again many thanks in advance!

Kash

Getting around

Ciao -

it will be a bit costly to get a taxi from Rome to Pienza. I suggest that you ask the manager or owner at your accommodations to fix you up with a taxi from Chiusi to Pienza, it will be more cost friendly and I access just as easy to navigate. BUT have it arranged before hand, because you can NOT count on finding a taxi once you get off the train in Chiusi.

I too would lean towards Pienza - but only because it is more central for the other destinations. Otherwise, Montepulciano is a charming city as well.

Donna Denise

Good morning Donna,

Once again I appreciate your advice. Really of great help! I will definitely do that. Many thanks also for the tips on wine tours.

Cheers,

Kash