Where to pick up and drop off a rental car?

Paulo5

Hello, In September we will be staying in Trastevere, Rome, after which we want to rent a car (on a Thursday morning) and drive north - presumably via A1/E35 - stopping first in Civita di Bagnoregio, then spending the night in Orvieto before continuing with the Umbria/Tuscany part of our trip the next morning.

I would like to avoid driving in Rome at all, if possible, so where would be the best place to rent a car from? I imagine both the airport and termini would have easy access to the autostrade, but does it cost more to rent from vendors there? I also heard it was relatively convenient - and inexpensive - to rent from a lot under the Galleria Borghese, next to the Spanish Steps, but is it easy to get out of the city from there? Or is there an area of dealerships near the edge of the city, at the 'mouth' of the autostrade, that would be easily reachable by taxi?

Similarly, when arriving in Florence from the south (on a Tuesday afternoon), we'd like to drop off the car somewhere convenient to our lodging in the Oltrarno district, and ideally not have to enter the city centre.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Paulo

Or...

...does it make sense instead to take a train to Orvieto, rent a car there, drive down to Civita di Bagnoregio, then back up to Orvieto for the night? We would still, of course, need to figure out where to drop it off at Florence...

P

Hello, In September we will be staying in Trastevere, Rome, after which we want to rent a car (on a Thursday morning) and drive north - presumably via A1/E35 - stopping first in Civita di Bagnoregio, then spending the night in Orvieto before continuing with the Umbria/Tuscany part of our trip the next morning.

I would like to avoid driving in Rome at all, if possible, so where would be the best place to rent a car from? I imagine both the airport and termini would have easy access to the autostrade, but does it cost more to rent from vendors there? I also heard it was relatively convenient - and inexpensive - to rent from a lot under the Galleria Borghese, next to the Spanish Steps, but is it easy to get out of the city from there? Or is there an area of dealerships near the edge of the city, at the 'mouth' of the autostrade, that would be easily reachable by taxi?

Similarly, when arriving in Florence from the south (on a Tuesday afternoon), we'd like to drop off the car somewhere convenient to our lodging in the Oltrarno district, and ideally not have to enter the city centre.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Paulo

Rental car drop off near Oltrarno

You can drop off your Hertz, Avis or Budget rental car at Borgo Ognissanti, 137/R, 50123 Firenze, Italy, 15. This is about .75 miles from Oltrarno.

City center

But it still takes you into the city center.

You could always use the airport, which is fairly easy to navigate, catch a shuttle bus to the city center and then make your way to your accommodations.

or this Hertz is outside of the city center: Address: Via del Sansovino, 53, 50142 Firenze FI

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

Florence airport drop-off

Thank you! I've arranged to pick up the car at Hertz's Via Veneto office in Rome (on Via Sardegna, near the Villa Borghese), which seems to have easy access to the autostrade, and to drop it off at the Florence airport.

Is it easy (and affordable)to take a taxi from the Florence airport to the Oltrarno district, or is the shuttle the better option?

We are staying in Florence for 3 nights, then taking a train to the the Cinque Terre and spending 4 nights there, after which we'll head to Venice. Do you recommend we take a train from the Cinque Terre to Venice, or rent another car(even if it's just for the day) and drive there?

Paulo

But it still takes you into the city center.

You could always use the airport, which is fairly easy to navigate, catch a shuttle bus to the city center and then make your way to your accommodations.

or this Hertz is outside of the city center: Address: Via del Sansovino, 53, 50142 Firenze FI

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

The shuttle is an economical solution -

but a taxi will take you direct to your hotel so you don't have to do any navigating after a long trip. I think the last time I took a taxi from the airport to the city center, it was about 25 Euro.

Taking a train to Venice will mean a change of trains in Florence. Personally, it is probably easier to do that than try navigating the roads - and traffic...I would go with the train.

Buon Viaggio,
Donna Denise