Best base for Christmas in Tuscany 2017 1week

mariakou

Good afternoon,
We are planning to visit Tuscany in Christmas time 22-29 December.
We will come from Rome with a car.
What would be the best place to have as a base in order to visit the most villages?
Would you advise us to spend 3 days in one place and 4 days in another?
Is there an itinerary to suggest?
Any ideas where to spend Christmas Day?

Τhank you in advance
Μaria 😀🇬🇷

Christmas in Tuscany

Buongiorno (and Buon Natale!!...just a little early)

I suggest you look at this post that I answered just a bit ago:

https://www.discovertuscany.com/for...6493-things-do-florence-christmas-2017-a.html

as for where to stay - this is good question, and I access highly depends on if you like to be in the countryside or a town. Do keep in mind that any villas or apartments in the countryside normally add heating to the price, whereas in the a hotel or B&B it is all included in the price. Be sure to clarify the costs before you book.

Staying in one place will give you a chance to really enter into the social activities of the area - which at Christmas time can be quite fun. However if you are choosing to stay in a city like Siena or Lucca - then I suggest that you split it between the two.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

Buongiorno Maria,
you could choose Sovicille as the base of your trip. It is a small country village really close to Siena (12 km) and to many other interesting places, hence you do not need to change your base. From here you can reach Siena and spend there one day and visit this small city which has a warm Christmas spirit and where you can taste typical Christmas food like 'ricciarelli', 'panforte' and 'cantucci' with 'vinsanto'. The next day you could visit Florence where you can probably find a lot of Christmas events. On Christmas Eve you could go to Abbadia San Salvatore, it is a mountain village where, during the evening, is organized a special and suggestive event (for more info look at: http://www.cittadellefiaccole.it/le-fiaccole-di-natale/). For the Christmas day we suggest you to decide once you are here what to do when you will arrive in Sovicille because there will be a lot of events organized in our territory, at the moment we are not able to give you accurate information due to the calendar which is not organized yet. During the other days, you could decide to spend your time following these itineraries:
1) You can enjoy the Chianti area, where you could find good wine and visit the characteristic “borghi” Monteriggioni, Castellina in Chianti, Radda in Chianti and Gaiole in Chianti.
2) You can admire the landscape of the Crete Senesi and visit the “borghi” Montalcino, Pienza and Montepulciano.
3) You can explore the Val di Merse (where Sovicille is located), where you can find the Abbey of Saint Galgano and you can see the sword in the rock. On the way to this Abbey you can find the ancient roman and full of history “Ponte della Pia”, which you can cross by foot.
Have a nice holiday!