Val D'Orcia cypresses

Lemmo

Hello,

I'm planning a driving trip in the area of Montepulciano/Pienza/Val D'Orcia/Montalcino. Last time I was there I was particularly enchanted by the route Pienza -> Monticchiello -> Montepulciano.

This time I'd like to visit places, more on the side of Pienza - S.Quirico d'Orcia - Montalcino, and I'd really like to see landscapes which go as close as possible to the magnificient ones seen in the famous postcards.

I did some research and I found out about lovely spots such as the Vitaleta Chapel and the group of 'S. Quirico d'Orcia cypresses', and Rocca d'Orcia.

Do you know any other specific routes / spots you'd recommend to drive through? (of course, the entire landscape is beautiful there)

thanks in advance

Another spot

Buongiorno,

One of my all time favorite shots is about 2 - 3 km after the turn off for Bagno Vignoni, going south. Don't turn at Bagno Vignoni - even though I do suggest you visit there, the photo opportunities are awesome. The spot I am talking about is on the left hand side of the road, you really can't miss it.

Don't forget to check out the map for the road SP 46, leaving out of Siena. I used it to get to a villa visit I was doing (http://www.discovertuscany.com/siena/accommodation/corsanello.html) and was totally surprised by the fabulous scenery shots.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

You need to take the road between Pienza and San Quirico to catch the Vitaleta chapel from the main road but there is also a white gravel road that arrives behind the chapel that allows you to get closer or walk to the chapel.

Then the road between San Quirico and Montalcino leads you past the group of cypresses in a field that is the subject of almost all postcards from Tuscany. It changes with the seasons so it will be different at all times of the year, but you won't miss it since many cars stop to get photos.

The roads around Buonconvento, Asciano and Leonina also offer great photo opportunities.