Genoa to Cortona

sadie

we are arriving in Genoa a week prior to our stay in Cortona (for another week). We would like to stay on the riviara and possibly fish before continuing to Cortona. Can we do this by train and if so, what stops / overnights in route would you suggest?

cortona to cinque terra then back to genoa

from Cortona as our home base we hope to see Siena as well as some of the smaller towns. My partner is not fond of big cities, so Florence is probably not on the itinerary.

returning to Genoa, we plan to stay in cinque terra and lucca. Any suggestions for country folks and smaller cities would be appreciated.

You can certainly get from Genoa to Cortona by train although it won't be fast - check www.trenitalia.com for train timetables.
You can either pass through Lucca or Pisa as you head toward Florence, not sure I would suggest overnights specifically since you're already planning on Lucca on the way back (or you could do it first, and head on to CT straight on the way back).

Will you have a car once you're in Cortona to get around to places in the area?

I suggest you visit Arezzo, Siena, the area to the south of Siena including Buonconvento, Montalcino, San Quirico, Pienza and Montepulciano, Sansepolcro and Anghiari on another day, explore into Chianti through Castenuovo Berardenga up to Radda and Castellina and across to San Gimignano. You can certainly skip Florence -- but Genoa is a bigger city than Florence! The historical center in Florence is small and walkable, doable by train from Cortona too if you don't want to drive in.