Montepulciano to Florence for 8am tour.

loves_wander

We will be in Montepulciano for a short 4 night stay and are considering a day trip to Florence (we will have a rental car) Saturday March 24 2018 that will include an 8am tour of the Florence Duomo and then the Accademia Gallery. Is this feasible? We don't mind leaving at 5am or so for a full day in such a beautiful city. Google maps shows approx 1hr 45 min drive to Florence but I'm not sure where to plan to park and the best way to get to the Duomo area to meet the tour. Any advice would be appreciated.
Later in the day we plan on ending up in the Oltrarno area for shopping, aperativo and dinner. Does this sound like a good way to spend our limited time in the city? Again, any additional advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Going into Florence

Buongiorno,

I would have suggested going to the Villa Costanza parking on the Autostrada and taking the tram from there into the city -

however, if you are ending your day oltrarno, then I would suggest driving your car into town and using own of the paid parking lots near Piazza Beccaria (you will exit at Firenze SUD), pay the toll and go down to the traffic light. At the light turn left and it will take you into the city center. At that hour in the morning, traffic will be at a minimum. Read here for info on the parking, look for Santambrogio and Piazza Beccaria It is about a 20 minute walk to the Duomo (which might be just what you need after the ride into the city - and time for a quick espresso!

I will admit though, it seems like a very long day if you are going to start out at 5 in the morning and end with dinner in the city. If you really want to stay for dinner, then maybe you should look for a tour that started a bit later in the day.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise