Suggested 12days in Tuscany

Jimmy8

We are looking at 12 days in Tuscany. We would like some advice on a suggested itinerary. Thinking of Florence, Siena and Lucca for two nights and the rest spent touring the region and looking to stay in hillside towns like Montepulciano etc. I don’t wish to drive in the bigger cities but could we stay in the larger place like Florence, train to Siena and hire a car from there ? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and suggested itinerary.
Thanks

Since you're planning on getting a car, I would suggest starting in Florence, seeing the city and then also doing a few easy day trips from Florence with train and only after renting a car to head out to the countryside to your next base from which to explore.

The easiest thing really is to rent from Florence, if you're worried about driving in the center you can take a taxi to the airport and rent from there. The airport is close to the highway so you don't have to drive back into Florence at all to head out of the city.

So a suggestion could be:
Florence - 3-4 days, one of which can be a whole day trip out divided between Pisa (in the am) and Lucca (in the afternoon).
Rent car and drive out to the countryside.... here you can decide whether you want one base for the rest of your time or two, if you don't mind packing up again and moving to another spot.

Usually I would suggest one central base, in the area between Florence and Siena or closer to Siena.
Then you could do spokes of the wheel and visit in a different direction each day.
Chianti - 1 day
San Gimignano and Volterra - 1 day
Val d'Orcia - 1 day
Arezzo and Cortona - 1 day

If you want to head further away, maybe a second base would not be a bad idea and head to Maremma, in southern Tuscany along the coast. There I would suggest a day exploring the towns made in tuff rock, such as Pitigliano, Sorano and Sovana and another day at the hot springs of Saturnia.
Another day spend it at the beach - I particularly like the sandy beaches at the north end of the Maremma Park of the Uccellina.

12 days in Tuscany

Since you're planning on getting a car, I would suggest starting in Florence, seeing the city and then also doing a few easy day trips from Florence with train and only after renting a car to head out to the countryside to your next base from which to explore.

The easiest thing really is to rent from Florence, if you're worried about driving in the center you can take a taxi to the airport and rent from there. The airport is close to the highway so you don't have to drive back into Florence at all to head out of the city.

So a suggestion could be:
Florence - 3-4 days, one of which can be a whole day trip out divided between Pisa (in the am) and Lucca (in the afternoon).
Rent car and drive out to the countryside.... here you can decide whether you want one base for the rest of your time or two, if you don't mind packing up again and moving to another spot.

Usually I would suggest one central base, in the area between Florence and Siena or closer to Siena.
Then you could do spokes of the wheel and visit in a different direction each day.
Chianti - 1 day
San Gimignano and Volterra - 1 day
Val d'Orcia - 1 day
Arezzo and Cortona - 1 day

If you want to head further away, maybe a second base would not be a bad idea and head to Maremma, in southern Tuscany along the coast. There I would suggest a day exploring the towns made in tuff rock, such as Pitigliano, Sorano and Sovana and another day at the hot springs of Saturnia.
Another day spend it at the beach - I particularly like the sandy beaches at the north end of the Maremma Park of the Uccellina.

Hi there

We are now looking at doing a night in Lucca then into Florence fit 2 nights.

Then into Siena but we want to explore the regions

Should we base in Siena and do 2-3 dat trips before heading to Amalfi

At this stage we haven’t got a car and we’re going to do travel by train

What’s your suggestions ?

Thanks jimmy