Tuscany in May 2018 (not the major places), tips for places to visit

rose-lynn

Hello
I am from France and will be visiting Tuscany with my 2 daughters of 15 in May 2018. We will rent a car, and have already visited Florence, Siena , Pisa, Lucca, San Gimigano, 5 terre
What we would like to do this time , is travelling by car and enjoying medieval villages and also the coast.. and Garfagnana
we stay 6 days(only) and I'm preparing the itinerary but my main problem is to estimate the time to dedicate per village/city...
For the moment the project is :
- Day 1 : Arrival in Pisa early in the morning, then Volterra and Monteriggioni, (night around Siena)
- Day 2 +3 ? : Siena e Crete Senesi ....
Siena/Montalcino 40 km 1h
Montalcino/san Quirico d’Orcia – 18 km – 20 mn
San Quirico d’Orcia Et bagno vignoni /Pienza – 15mn
Pienza/Montepulciano : 20 mn

Maybe we will have to program 2 full days in Siena, o Pienza, o San quirico to be able to visit arounD ,

- Day 4 ?? Sorano/pitigliano/terme di SATURNIA

- DAY 5 : this is a problem... we 'd like to see the white beaches... but how ? and where ? castiglione della pescaia and ROSSIGNANO (but far away)

- DAY 6 : must stay close to Pisa to see one friend in the morning, afternoon bagno di Lucca, Barga, viareggio, back to Pisa at night (want to visit GARFAGNANA area)

We would like to have 2 or 3 cities where to sleep... thanks for your help

Ideas in May

Buongiorno,

GOOD: Day 1 : Arrival in Pisa early in the morning, then Volterra and Monteriggioni, (night around Siena)

GOOD: Day 2 : Siena for one day is probably just fine and

GOOD: Day 3: Crete Senesi ....
Siena/Montalcino 40 km 1h
Montalcino/san Quirico d’Orcia – 18 km – 20 mn
San Quirico d’Orcia Et bagno vignoni /Pienza – 15mn

Pienza/Montepulciano : 20 mn You can add this to the day - but it makes for a long drive back UNLESS you stay in Montepulciano, which is a good idea.

GOOD: Day 4 (don't forget Sovana) Sorano/Pitigliano/terme di SATURNIA

DAY 5 : You will need to get back up to Pisa in any case, so you can drive along the coast. starting from Saturnia to Pisa is a 3 hour drive, a stop at castiglione della pescaia and ROSSIGNANO before Pisa is good - or you could go up to Viarregio which has lovely white beaches - stay there the night and then to Pisa.

DAY 6 : I understand you have an appointment in Pisa in the morning - but to add the Garfagnana in the afternoon really doesn't leave you a lot of time - a trip to Barga is about an 3 hour drive round trip... My suggestion is that you either need to loose one of the days above and follow this suggested itin (which I did 2 years ago) or plan it for the next trip :cool:

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

ideas in May (not major places)

Ciao !!

thank you very much for your answers and advice
I will have a look on your proposed itinerary to visit Barga etc... , so according to you, it is too much to make it in one afternoon ? even if we come late back to Pisa ?

the day 2 is not for Siena, but only departure from Siena or around, (we've already visited it), so we may have extra time, can we make Crete Senesi in 1 day, or 2 are needed ?

thanks again for all your advice, and precious and appreciated help

Ciaoooo

You can most definitely use a day to roam around the Crete Senesi, it is the area just to the south of Siena so no specific location. The main town in the area is Buonconvento, but I also suggest heading to Monte Oliveto Maggiore abbey and to Asciano. The drive in the area will leave you breathless :)

Read more on the Crete Senesi and places mentioned above here: https://www.discovertuscany.com/crete-senesi/