Steam train on Oct 7 2018 from/to Siena

masa

My wife and I am planning to visit Italy for one week from Oct 6,2018.
I love steam engines especially taking photos of steam trains running and my wife loves eating local Food, and hiking.
I came accross the Terre di Siena's homepage, however only have detailed information in Italian language.
Could you let us know the folowing things on the excursion tour (IL TRENO DEGLI ETRUSCHI) on October 7,2018?
We will not rent a car.

Question 1
PLS let us know the details of the program.
Are there any options? what kind of festival to be held?
Exact Time table of the train to know at which station will the train stop long time.

Question2
Not at the stations, is it possible to take photos of running steam engine in the countryside? This means that on the way to final station, can I join the tour?
Do they have plans for the steam engine photographers such as Foto Run, bus tranport services To/From photospots?
(My wife will join the tour from Siena, however I will join the tour after taking photos of running train.)

OR are there any possibilities to take photos of running steam engines from Loco shed to Siena station in the morning?

Queston3

Is it possible to visit Loco shed?

Thank you very much in advance for your reply.

Masa

Trains in Tuscany

Buongiorno,

you may want to start by reading our article about these fun train trips: https://www.discovertuscany.com/what-to-do-in-tuscany/steam-engine-trains-in-tuscany.html

and this one: https://www.discovertuscany.com/blog/explore-tuscany-on-a-steam-train-this-spring-4391/

Important to know - space is always limited, so if you want to ride the train book in advance!

07 October > Murlo (the name of a town south of Siena)

The Train Ride following the path of the Etruscans

Leaves Siena with a historic steam engine and heads towards the town of Asciano at 9:50 am
Arrives in Monte Antico, where it will continue its travels through the splendid Ceti Senesi countryside, from the soft hills of Val d'Orcia and Brunello di Montalcino. There will be a short stop while the engine for technical reasons and you can take photos during the positioning of the train.

From Monte Antico to Murlo: Passing through the lower part of the valley Val d'Arbia, the train should arrive around noon. Thstop will allow those who are interested to get off the train and to do a 7 km treking to visit the town center.

or you can stay on the train and proceed to Buonconvento where you will be transferred to a bus and transport to Murlo where you can reserve a lunch or visit the Etruscan Museum and the small town.

There will be a bus to take you back to Buonconvento and you will pick up the train to go back to Siena.

In my experience, they often stop in the towns long enough to take some pretty great photos. But I have not heard anything about a photo run or buses following the train. If you have a ticket, you could joing the train ride halfway and follow it through the various stations to take photos. But then you need to know the route so you can be there ahead of time.

When you contact them to make a reservation - ask them about seeing or visiting the train as it comes from the "deposito" before the ride.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

Last edited:
Steam hauled tyarin Oct 7

Buongiorno,
Thank you very much for your immediate reply.
I have read these two articles and your comments, which gave me a lot of information for making our travel schedule.

So as to visit photo spots before the steam hauled train come by myself, I have to check the route of the railway line exactly, then find the place where I will be able to take photos in a beautiful scenery. Then I need to check local transport such as bus services near the train route.

Do you have the map which indicates on which railroad line the steam engine runs on October 7?
I have checked http://www.ferrovieturistiche.it/en/fvo/#eventi and there is a hand written map of the region, however I could not found the exact route of the train and at which station the train will stop (at what time also) to get on after taking photos of steam hauled train running. (Are there any stations between Asciano and Monte Antico where I wil be able to get on the train?)

If you have additional information on the points above, could you let me know ?
Thank you in advance for your supports,
Yours,
Masa

Buongiorno,

you may want to start by reading our article about these fun train trips: https://www.discovertuscany.com/what-to-do-in-tuscany/steam-engine-trains-in-tuscany.html

and this one: https://www.discovertuscany.com/blog/explore-tuscany-on-a-steam-train-this-spring-4391/

Important to know - space is always limited, so if you want to ride the train book in advance!

07 October > Murlo (the name of a town south of Siena)

The Train Ride following the path of the Etruscans

Leaves Siena with a historic steam engine and heads towards the town of Asciano at 9:50 am
Arrives in Monte Antico, where it will continue its travels through the splendid Ceti Senesi countryside, from the soft hills of Val d'Orcia and Brunello di Montalcino. There will be a short stop while the engine for technical reasons and you can take photos during the positioning of the train.

From Monte Antico to Murlo: Passing through the lower part of the valley Val d'Arbia, the train should arrive around noon. Thstop will allow those who are interested to get off the train and to do a 7 km treking to visit the town center.

or you can stay on the train and proceed to Buonconvento where you will be transferred to a bus and transport to Murlo where you can reserve a lunch or visit the Etruscan Museum and the small town.

There will be a bus to take you back to Buonconvento and you will pick up the train to go back to Siena.

In my experience, they often stop in the towns long enough to take some pretty great photos. But I have not heard anything about a photo run or buses following the train. If you have a ticket, you could joing the train ride halfway and follow it through the various stations to take photos. But then you need to know the route so you can be there ahead of time.

When you contact them to make a reservation - ask them about seeing or visiting the train as it comes from the "deposito" before the ride.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise