Please Help! Transportation from Pratovecchio to Arezzo

Nicole.Funk

Hello all! Can anybody please help me because I'm having difficulty finding a train from Pratovecchio or Pratovecchio Stia (although I don't know the difference between those two) to Arezzo. Our final destination is in Venice traveling on November 27th. We are looking to travel between 8am - 9am in the morning from Pratovecchio, and ideally would like to end up in Venice by latest 2pm that afternoon so we have the rest of the day and evening to explore.

Thank you! :confused:

First of all Pratovecchio Stia is a municipality made up of two small towns - Pratovecchio and Stia.

On November 27 there are 2 early trains to Florence main station (Firenze Santa Maria Novella) one leaving the Pratovecchio Stia station at 07.30 arriving Firenze SMN at 09.48 and the other leaving at 08.37 arriving 10.57 For these local trains you cannot make a reservation but you can by a ticket beforehand. You will need to use the special yellow box-shaped machine at the station to time stamp you ticket before leaving Pratovecchio Stia.

From Firenze SMN there are regular fast trains to Venice Santa Lucia station offered either by Trenitalia - http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en or Italo - https://www.italotreno.it/en The trip takes just over 2 hours. You can book these tickets in advance which is certainly worthwhile as advanced booking offers significant discounts. Since such tickets involve a specific time and seat reservation there is no need to time stamp the ticket. You can have your reservation sent to your phone by sms.

Stia/Pratovecchio are closer to Florence, so definitely recommend heading to Florence to catch fast trains to Venice instead of Arezzo, as Craigmillar has recommended ;-).

Please do not be confused by Lourdes' posting.

Pratovecchio/Stia is relatively close to Florence but there are no direct "as the crow flies" trains due to the terrain. The trains do a reverse U to Florence via Arezzo.

Direct by car it is 55km but by train 117 km so Lourdes is correct on distance but there is no such train. There is a bus but it involves a change and actually takes longer than the reverse U train via Arezzo.

I am sorry if my wording was wrong - I didn't mean to imply that there were direct trains from Stia to Florence - they don't, they all go through Arezzo.
I meant to underline that Craig was right - and that all trains to Venice go through Florence, not from Arezzo - a train change is required in Florence.