1 day trip florence to Greve and beyond - nature, views, minor hiking

Lau83ra

Hello,

my partner and I are staying in Florence (March) and would like to plan one Saturday to see more of Chianti.

We would like to rent a car from Florence for a day and then follow the inspirations from this website and drive along the Chiantigiana to Greve and so forth.
Since we are going by car, i don't think we'll do a lot of wine tasting, but i would be interested where we could "step into the nature' or wander around a bit, apart from the beautiful towns (those, of course, we also want to see).

I don't know if this is an unnecessary question, if it is possible to get out of the car all the time, but i thought maybe there are spots where the nature, the view, is particularly beautiful and we won't tremble on vineyards or private property by mistake.

I thought we could get some nice food from local stores and markets and then find a great spot in the beautiful hills, ...

Any advice is highly appreciated!

Laura

Picnic in Chianti

Buongiorno,

Sounds like a beautiful day.

Chianti actually is well equipped with places to stop the car, take photos or wander just a bit into the vineyards and olive groves. One of my favorite little places to stop is in Castellina in Chianti, and though it may sound a bit gruesome, there are Etruscan tombs just outside the city (minutes by foot) where you can find a grassy spot for a picnic (I have done it several times!)

Another place that you could look at is outside of Barberino Val d'elsa, (a great church with lovely views) This article also offers a circular route you can take starting from Florence. Or another Eutruscan ruin (the Archers Tomb), but the walk to get there is thru olive groves and vineyards, really goregous!!) https://www.chianti.com/san-casciano-val-di-pesa.html

But if the weather is still a bit nippy, then you might want to check out one of these restaurants, especially in Panzano where the panoramic views over the vineyards is spectacular (number 7) or in Montefiorale ...but they might not be open during the week, call first! (number 5).

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise