www.tuscanyaccommodation.comwww.tuscanyaccommodation.comwww.tuscanyaccommodation.com

Thread: Best Return Route from Pienza/Montepulciano to Siena

TRW is offline Junior Member - Learning about Tuscany

Default Best Return Route from Pienza/Montepulciano to Siena

I plan to follow your suggested itinerary from Siena through the Val d'Orcia to Pienza and Montepulciano.

My question is: a suggested return route back to Siena where we will be staying. Should we just return the way we came or perhaps circle north via A1 and pass by Sinalunga, etc.? We have only one day to make this trip and want to see as much as we can. Thank you.

Lourdes is offline Administrator - DiscoverTuscany Team

If you go down the SS2 (via senese) to get to Montepulciano, passing through Buonconvento - San Quirico - Pienza, on the way back from Montepulciano I would suggest you take a few detours but still head back through the countryside -- unless it's late and you really want to make it back to Siena quickly, then definitely take the A1, then the raccordo to Siena.

I would head toward Monticchiello and then on to Bagno Vignoni before heading back north to San Quirico - and if you skipped Montalcino on the way down - heading that way before getting back on the Senese through Buonconvento. So parts will overlap, but you'll get some more views of the Val d'Orcia this way... of course, if it is dark and you won't see the views on the ride back, you might as well take the A1
    Where to stay in Tuscany? Read this if you will have a car and this if you won't!
    When is the best time to visit? Make sure to read this!