Help with the Tuscany part of my Iternary

shashprath

• My 2 Weeks trip to Italy from US(first time) -Starting Mid September
  • Traveling with Wife & daughter with special needs(mostly Wheelchair)
  • Interests include Architecture, History, Photography, Nature, Landscapes
    • Flying into Venice
    • Flying out of Rome
    • Venice (3 Nights) - 21/2 Days
    • Florence(3 Nights)- 2 1/2 Days
    • Rome (5 Nights)- 4 Days
I have 3 1/2 to 4 days in between Florence & Rome which i plan to rent a car(at the end of my Florence visit) and drive to Rome(drop -off at Termini before entering the city)

Need help in logistics for covering some highlights of Tuscany(Florence excluded) enroute to Rome..what should i use as a stopover:confused:.and the optimum route:confused:

Pisa, Lucca, San Gimignano, Chianti area(Drive thru), Siena, Val d’Orcia region...are in my wish list.

Driving to Rome

Buongiorno,

I would rent a car and drive to Lucca in the morning (lunch here) and then hit Pisa in the afternoon. Personally, I would end the day in San Gimignano (1.5 hours) and sleep here. An evening in this lovely city will be memorable, plus the tourists have normally all gone home by now so you can really enjoy the city.

The next day should include a wine tour in the area, maybe at Monteriggioni? Then head towards Castellina in Chianti ... another great place for a wine tasting and a lovely stroll. This area is perfect for photo opportunities.

I suggest that you either sleep here or end your day in Siena. This really depends if you like town life or want a day in the countryside.

Enjoy Siena, then head south towards Montalcino, Bagno Vignoni, Pienza, and Montepulciano.

I would sleep in Montepulciano - visit the cantinas underneath the antique palazzos in Montepulciano!

On your last day, you can catch the autostrada which will make the last part of the trip fast and easy - and if yu have extra time stop at Orvieto!!

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise