Day trips from Florence

bankernyc

Hello,
My gf and I will be in the Florence area for 4 days in total - we were planning on spending 2 full days in Florence, a day trip to Siena, and we wanted to plan our fourth day taking a bike tour of several wineries / countryside. One of the cities I am very interested in traveling to on that bike ride is Carmignano. Is anyone here familiar with that city? I have read about (and tasted numerous times) the wine from that city and wanted to plan a day trip there. As opposed to doing a group tour, we wanted to just rent bikes from Florence and ride there. Is this possible? And if so, is it safe? Are there any other towns nearby we could go to while we are near Carmignano? Thanks very much for any help you can provide. This forum has been very useful in planning out trip thus far!!
Regards,
JK

Ciao!
As you can see from this google map, Carmignano isn't that far outside of Florence. You can definitely rent bikes in Florence and head out there on your own. Are there specific wines labels you love from Carmignano? If so, definitely look them up and see whether you can visit those wineries on your day out - not all wineries are open to the public or some have limited hours or require reservations. Tuscany is a region with lots and lots of cyclists, so drivers are used to sharing the roads. As long as you don't take over half of the road lanes, cars pass you leaving enough space to make you feel safe. Make sure to rent helmets from the rental place in any case (we would recommend Florence By Bike - you don't say when you're coming, if in August you definitely need to find out when they are closed for holidays).
Near Carmignano, I highly recommend visiting the Medici villa at Poggio a Caiano - a beautiful well-maintained villa with museum of still life paintings (the museum requires booking). You can see opening hours here.

Glad you're finding the forum useful!! Do let us know if you need any further help in figuring out something for your trip and we'll try to help!
:)