Tuscany, Florence & Pisa in 5 days flat

Nabeel

Hi,

My wife and I are travelling to Italy and we plan to spend 5 days in Tuscany and 4 days in Rome. The trouble is that we plan to arrive in Tuscany in exactly a week!!! We have had no time to plan and prepare an itinerary. The only thing that we have done is book our flight to Florence (arriving on August 21) and flying out of Rome on August 30.

Ideally, we would like our Tuscan holiday to centre around food and wine. We will rent a car from the Florence airport and use it to travel around Tuscany (which for us, would mean Siena, Florence, Chianti and Pisa). I would assume that since we will have a car, we can have the liberty of staying in one of the smaller towns (or larger villages) than staying in the heart of Florence or Siena. We are not really history fans (read museums, churches, castles etc.), but are ardent fans of good things in life (food, wine, lazing around, strolls etc.).

In view of this, we would like your suggestion on the following:

1. Should we have two bases (3 days and 2 days)? If so, where? We would definitely want to have a taste of the countryside (with extra special emphasis on wine and food).
2. Is one day trip each good enough for Florence and Siena ?
3. Should we budget half a day for Pisa or should that be one entire day? If it needs one entire day, we are ready to skip Pisa.

PS: The very idea of hiring a car for our Tuscan holiday is to give us flexibility to explore the countryside. Let me further add that I have an Indian driving license (printed in English), I hope this is good enough to hire cars.

We are really eager for your suggestions.

Ciao,

Nabeel

In relation to your answers:
1) I think it's not necessary to have two basis for your travel: usually our guests visit all the places you indicate from our hayloft. Florence is about ten minutes away, Chianti about 30 minutes, Pisa and Siena less than an hour (by car). In one day you can visit the Chiantishire (San Gimignano, Greve in Chianti, Gaiole in Chianti, Castellina in Chianti and other little villages in the area). In another day you can visit Montepulciano (here you can taste a very good wine and visit some beautiful wineries), Pienza, Montalcino and Cortona. Don't forget to visit Volterra, Certaldo and Monteriggioni too!
2) One day for Siena is ok. Maybe for Florence isn't enough, but Florence is very little and in one day you could visit Piazza Signoria, Palazzo Vecchio, Ponte Vecchio, Santa Croce, Santo Spirito and Piazzale Michelangelo. But I think it would be difficult to visit museums, like Uffizi for exemple.
3) Half-day for Pisa is enough. There you have to visit only the Miracle Square.

With all my best wishes,
Stefano

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm arriving late to this thread so it seems you're already here! Hope you're finding your itinerary through Tuscany fun and enjoying everything you're seeing. Tuscany (and Italy for that matter) is perfect for both history/art lovers as well as those that love food and the "dolce vita") so you'll have no problems at all!

Have a great vacation! :)