Ideas for other places to visit

patmcdowell

I am visiting Tuscany last week in Sept first in October for total of 10 days. Plan to stay 4 or 5 days in Florence. Can't decide where to go after that? Would like to spend other half of time in another quiet, peaceful, relaxing destination. Will be using public transport so need to be able to get to somewhere easily from Florence. Any suggestions?
thanks

Ciao again! Saw and replied to your other thread before --- so now I know you plan 4-5 days in Florence, you might consider an apartment since it would give you a chance to not eat out all of the time as opposed to a hotel or B&B where you don't generally have access to a kitchen. You might consider something like this apartment but definitely take a look at the other thread and the link I put on there.

As for where to go after... I highly recommend Siena! It is a town, but staying in the center there is completely different from Florence. It has kept its village feel and is quieter than Florence. At the end of Sept-start of October will perfect - from there you have access to trains and buses that can take you into the surrounding countryside for day trips when you feel like it. You can get to San Gimignano with a combination of train+bus or just bus as well as to the Val d'Orcia area and Chianti area by bus: check timetables here.

If you have any other questions, feel free to post again and we'll try to help! :)

Florence

Thank you for your reply. Just checked and Pergola apartment is booked last week September. Looked a lovely place with a small terrace - perfect. Can you recommend anywhere else?

The owners of the Pergola apartment have another one, very elegant and with a terrace, called Guelfa - did they already also say that it is taken during that period as well?

If you want an apartment, I'd also recommend taking a look at the ones on Lodging in Florence and at Merry Go Round. Many apartments are found through agencies since it is easier for the owners to rent them out that way.

Ideas for a 4 day trip to Tuscany

Hi,

I would like to get some ideas as to where to go in Tuscany as we have 4 days there.
We arrive in the afternoon in Pisa and have decided to spend the night there.
We were planning to go to Florence the next day and spend a whole day there and then we're not sure where to go after.
We want to visit the Tuscan country side and some wineries as well.
We don't mind going to florence at the end of the trip as we are flying out from Pisa again.
Do you have any suggestions on where we should go.
We will be renting a car.

I'm sorry if this is not the place to ask a new question, but silly me couldn't figure out how to post a new question....

Thank you.......

Last edited:
Ciao Cynthia,

4 days are going to pass really quickly, but you can certainly do most of what you're already planning.

Since you really should visit Pisa, your first half day afternoon sounds like the perfect time to do it.
Pisa is well connected with Florence by train so you have two options - go first to Florence by train, and then rent the car as you don't need at all in Florence but will need it for the rest of Tuscany OR rent the car right away and then return it on your last day spent in Florence. You can then once again reach Pisa airport easily by train (or bus).

Another day can be spent in Chianti - if you take the Via Chiantigiana from Florence into Chianti, between Greve, Panzano, Radda and Castellina you'll find many wineries along the road with signs that invite you for wine tastings. Many have shops along the road or just off it on the estate.

The last day you could spent it in Siena. It is very different from Pisa and Florence, so this will give you a chance to see a little bit of everything that makes Tuscany so special. My advice is to move each day to the area you'll be in, to avoid driving so much back and forth. While none of the cities are too far from each other (Pisa to Florence is about 30-40 min while Florence to Siena is about 50-60 min), it is still an hour or two spent going all over the area. So you can spend the first night in Pisa, the second night in Florence, rent the car and then spend the third and fourth night in Chianti (for example, at Palazzo Malaspina - take a look at other accommodations in Chianti) so that you are close to Siena and can actually also include a visit to San Gimignano on the way back from Chianti to Pisa.

Does the itinerary make sense? Feel free to ask more questions if you have them! :)

Cioa Lourdes,

Thank you very much for your advice! It was very helpful and I will definitely take your advice and spend 1 night in Pisa then on to Florence for another night and then to Chianti region for another and on to Siena on the way back to Pisa.
I am leaving tomorrow and cannot wait!!!!
Thanks again for your advice!!! :)

Really glad to be of help! Have a good flight to Pisa and enjoy everything you see and do! Weather is also really good right now, not too hot or too cold - perfect! :D