Italy in May

deatonka

We will be traveling to Italy after a business meeting in Germany. We are thinking of driving from southern Germany through Austria and making our way to the Tuscany area.

Any suggestions where to stay for a few days? Possibly a in village or county house. We would also like to take cooking classes and visit wineries. The most important goal...experience the local culture.

Thanks for your help.

Ciao Deatonka,

How many days total will you have in Tuscany? I am asking because there are many places that will only rent by the week so if you have less days available, a very good choice is to find a B&B in the countryside that will give you a chance to enjoy both the countryside as well as day trips to explore the wines and food.

Near San Gimignano, I'd recommend the B&B Casolare di Libbiano since they also offer cooking classes right there. They'll be able to help you arrange for wine tastings in the nearby Chianti area or in the even closer wineries producing the white wine Vernaccia di San Gimignano. Another good option would be the Residence Santa Maria that has apartments - these offer greater independence since you have your own kitchen (they also offer cooking classes) and in May also allow stays of less than a week as long as you stay 2-3 nights.
Finally, another good option would be Palazzo Malaspina B&B which is located in the center of the small village of San Donato in Chianti. All three are relatively close and the whole area is full of vineyards and wineries - you won't have problems finding great places to enjoy the local culture! Let me know if you'd like a few more suggestions :) Hope you're enjoying planning your trip!

Hi! I'm living in a medieval villages near the border between Emilia Romagna and Tuscany, we've beautiful landscapes, excellent food, local people rich in tales of the territory and more than 10 itinerary for walking and biking. May is the perfect time to enjoy Palazzuolo Sul Senio (Florence area), flowers and herbs are spread all over the village here! I hope you could come and discover our slice of paradise, out of the major cities and mass tourist destinations..
Ciao,
Ercole