Wish to see the Tuscan countryside(with sunflowers) on our 4 day trip

nejanu

Hi all!
We are planning to visit Tuscany for 4 days in August 1st week. I am very exited and trying to make this a memorable trip for our family. We will be staying in Florence and plan on doing day trips to Pisa and Sienna as of now. We will be using public transport throughout. Apart from these big n popular towns, I also wish to see the beautiful Tuscan countryside and specially a "Sunflower Field":). As we don't plan to drive at all, I was wondering if it will be possible to visit such a place which is near our planned destinations and is easily accessible through public transport(bus or train).I have been trying to research about Tuscany's countryside but I am all muddled up now! Can someone please guide me?
Many thanks in Advance!

Florence is a great base, a tour would be a great way to see the Tuscan countryside

Ciao Nejanu,

I am pretty sure you'll love your time in Tuscany and your whole family will enjoy your vacation in the region. Florence is a great base from which to do day trips to both Pisa and Siena.

As for the countryside, even without a car you can see a good amount from some of the main destinations...... consider that even in Florence, if you walk about half an hour to the Piazzale Michelangelo and go into the hills above, you'll feel like you're already in the countryside, it is that close to the city. The same if you head to Fiesole and pass that hill.... countryside right away.

I am just sorry I have to be the bearer of bad news about sunflower fields - their season is generally June through early July. It has also been a particularly hot month and many of the sunflowers are already drying out. So even if I told you where there is generally a great sunflower field near Florence (just off Viale Europa going toward Bagno a Ripoli and easily reachable by bus), the truth is that they are already dried up and will not be presentable for any photographs anymore by early August. Sorry!!!

If you want to take a full day where you get to see lots of the countryside on a tour so you don't have to worry about any driving, I highly recommend this one day tour of the best of Tuscany.
It might be a long day, but you get the chance to see Chianti, San Gimignano, Pisa and Siena all in one day.... it is a great way to see the best of the region and allow you to enjoy Florence on the other days, seeing as your time is limited. You can see additional tours here: http://www.partner.viator.com/en/8357/travel-tips/Tours-in-Tuscany/ttd

Have a great trip!! :)

Dear Lourdes,
We have just returned from our Italy trip and it was a fabulous experience minus the really hot weather! We took ur advice and went for the one day Tuscany Tour. It turned out to be the best thing of our trip! Thanks for your precious tips. I would also highly recommend this tour for nayone wanting to experience true Tuscan countryside.
Thanks once again.
Regards.

great to hear you had a good time in Tuscany!

Ciao Nejanu, So very glad you enjoyed your trip despite the hot weather, which is unusually hot so far this summer! So did you do the tour I had mentioned above or a different one? Did you feel it was all done at a good pace or too hurried? Since you recommend it to others, I am glad you found it a great way to see Tuscany given the short amount of time you had - and that you'll be able to come back maybe for a longer time period ;-).