Siena day trip

Melany

Hello again! I've about figured out my 10-day trip to Italy; 6 days in Florence,1 day in Pisa, and 3 days in Rome. I have 1 day in Florence to fill still, and I'm considering a trip to Siena for the afternoon/evening.
I have a guide book by Rick Steves, and he recommends taking a bus instead of train because it's cheaper and faster, and also the stops are closer to the town center than the train station.

My main purpose to visit Siena is the Duomo and the artwork there. I'm thinking a bus ride there, tour the Duomo, have lunch, and take photos of Siena. In my book, Steves says that evening is the best time to visit. I'll be there on a Sunday, and it looks like the bus on Sunday leaves Siena at 1820 and 1910, so I'll have a few hours to kill after the Duomo after arriving in Siena at 1325.

Any recommendations of things to do, that a photographer would like to see? Also, do you have a favorite, inexpensive place to eat there?

Thanks!!!

Oh hadn't seen these questions yet!

I agree, the bus is better because it gets you closer to the center than the train station.

As far as other things I'd recommend to see - Piazza del Campo, Palazzo Pubblico museum and a climb up the Torre del Mangia for great views of the city!!

As for great places to eat, there are two I'll recommend (for lunch right? head there as soon as you get in as many close the kitchen by 2.30pm):
- Osteria della Nonna Gina di Lella e Dado - end of via Stalloreggi, in front of door “le due porte” so on Pian dei Mantellini, close to the Duomo. Family run, mom in the kitchen, dad and daughter serving customers. It is pretty small, informal but great cooking. We've eaten there several times already, always delicious. http://www.osterianonnagina.net/
- Boccon del Prete on via San Pietro 17 - also pretty close to the duomo. Only been there once on our last trip to Siena as the above was closed for a week for family holiday. It was also great food and it was recommended by various locals. We'll go back next time we're in Siena to try again. Also pretty informal. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Osteria-Boccon-del-prete/140452952692182

I love Siena! If you can, get there earlier in the day and just spend the entire day there, it is worth it. The frescoes in Palazzo Pubblico are beautiful - definitely spend some time looking over the allegories of Bad/Good Government by Lorenzetti to see all the details :) You'll also spend more time in the Duomo than you think - the Piccolomini Library has such colorful frescoes you'd think they were done last year... not to mention the pavement, you'll want to walk all over the church to study them.

Thank you Lourdes! Those restaurants look wonderful. Now I'm hungry. :eek:

A day in Siena it is!