1 day in Val d'Orcia by car

Hello everybody,

I would really need your help on planning one day in Val d'Orcia by car.

Which villages should I visit and on which roads should I mainly drive in order to take those amazing pictures of the countryside?

Unfortunately, I only have one day to spend driving around the region.

Finally, do you think that if it rains, will it be problematic to drive around?

I look forward to your responses and thanks a lot for your great help!

Ciao Elessar,

Are you staying in the area or driving down from Florence or Siena? We always take the SS2 from Siena down passing through Buonconvento and then on to Montalcino, San Quirico d'Orcia, Pienza and on to Montepulciano.

Depending on the season, the landscape in Val d'Orcia will be different but I've found to be beautiful in every season.
If you've seen postcards from Tuscany, this is definitely the area where shots with rolling bales of hay, groups of cypresses or lone cypresses at the top of the hills are located ;-)
Two of the most famous "Tuscan" landmarks found on postcards are right around San Quirico d'Orcia - right before you arrive as you come down the SS2 there is a long bridge, and as it ends, many cars stop to take pictures of the cypresses to the right side of the road... these are the ones I mean.

Then right after you head out of San Quirico in the direction of Pienza you'll also find the Vitaleta chapel to the right - this one.

No problem at all if in rains, the itinerary is all in towns - just be careful because many have cobblestones and those can get slippery!