Need some Info

Nicola

Hi All,

Thanks for this nice website, its really giving full information about Tuscany. However i still have some question which really need answer before my travel this coming October, and i hope i can get it from here :)

1- Is Perugia consider part from Tuscany. and is it worthy to visit for 2 days?

2- if i go Perugia, then after I'm planning to go to one town in Tuscany for 3 days but im still confused about the town specially i dont like driving in strange area so is it better to stay in Florence for this 3 days and consider it as base for the day trip to the other area around.

Or maybe you can encourage me to stay in one town and rent car instead of staying in Florence, and then i need please idea about a nice town which has hotel inside it and has nice natural view.

Appreciate your answers.

Thanks

Nicola

Last edited:
Ciao Nicola,

Glad you found us and are finding the information on here helpful in planning your trip!

I can confirm that Perugia is NOT a part of Tuscany, it is already in Umbria. But it isn't that far beyond the Tuscan border and it is a town that does merit being visited if you have the time in addition to seeing Tuscany, because there is a lot to see in Tuscany that I'd suggest seeing before heading away.

How many days total will you have? 3 days in Florence plus another 3 days to spend in Tuscany?

You can use Florence as a base to see Florence and then take the train to see Pisa.
Then you could also take the train or bus to get to Siena without the need to rent a car and then use that as a base to see Siena, San Gimignano, the Val d'Orcia because it is a beautiful area to the south of Siena. You would need a car to see it but if you don't want to rent, you should take an organized tour for that day through the area - you can see some of the many options here.

If you tell me how many days total, maybe I can offer more suggestions for specific days!

Need some info

Dear Lourdes

Many thanks for your quick response, our trip will be started on 11 October by landing at Rome and end on 19 Oct departing from Milan, i will spend 11+12+13 on Rome then going to Tuscany for 14+15+16 and last 2 days in Venice.

after my post here yesterday, i did a lot of researches, and i found (San Gimignano) a nice area to stay in for 3days. It's big town and has a nice hotel. actually i want hotel to be closed to the town by short walk distance and same time has a nice view. ( too much requirement right!- we are couple photographer :) )

after all the posts here and there, i think i must rent car for going around. Hope it can be safe.

Now, how you can help me by advising about my trip in general and the stay in San Gimignano as you are expert in this area.

Thank you dear.

Nicola

You're welcome!

Ok, so you have even less time than I thought at first!

If you're photographers and really want to get those beautiful shots of Tuscany, you will need to rent a car (read some tips here) for those 3 days and definitely stay in the countryside - that way you can drive the scenic roads and stop when you want, where you want. You won't have that possibility if you're on trains or buses.

Perugia could be fit in if you do this: take train from Rome and stop in Perugia to do half a day there, pick up rental car and then drive north into Tuscany to be able to take beautiful pictures of the Tuscan landscapes!

You definitely want to drive to through the Val d'Orcia! Leave the autostrada at Montelpulciano and take the road to Pienza, then on to San Quirico d'Orcia (stop right before to take shots of the Vitaleta chapel and right after to take pics of the group of cypress trees seen here and here) and Montalcino. In this case, you could spend the first night in Tuscany in this area so that you're not in a big hurry, see some options here: accommodation in Val d'Orcia

Then I'd continue on the next morning and spend the morning in Siena, then continue on to either one of these two for the next two nights:
Palazzo Malaspina
Casolare di Libbiano
they are both B&Bs but offer different experiences. One is in a medieval village, very charming while the other is outside of San Gimignano in the countryside. Both have beautiful panoramic views all around.

You can visit Chianti from here and San Gimignano, going on to Florence your last day to drop off car rental and taking train to Venice! See, very doable - I highly recommend the car, as long as one looks out and tells you when to stop to take pictures, you will besafe and not have problems.

Tuscany trip

Hello again,

finally i confirmed the plane, i will be coming from Rome to Chianti and stay 3 days at the suggested Hotel (Palazzo Malaspina).

But how to get there from Rome. After i read some posts here before, i found that taking train from Rome to Chiusi, then rent a car there will be the best and easiest. Isn't? or you have a better way!. I will drop the car in Florence before i take the train to Venice.

how about these 3 days in Chianti, please give some idea or advises about visiting the town around including Pisa and Florence.

Best regards

Nicola

Ciao Nicola,

You can either rent in Rome and drive the whole way or take train partway and then rent. I've heard many people do car rentals out of Orvieto or Chiusi, so check both out.
Then yes, return the car in Florence before heading off to Venice by train.

Palazzo Malaspina will be a great base - you can do Pisa and Lucca one day , Florence another and Chianti the other day. In Chianti, head to San Gimiginano in the morning, then back into Chianti for the rest of the day - visit Castellina in Chianti, Radda in Chianti, Panzano in Chianti. The days are in no specific order. I am sure you'll spend more time driving and stopping to take pictures around the area you're staying at than any other, it is beautiful! Lots of vineyards - it is harvest time right now, then leaves start changing colors. If you don't make it all the way to Lucca, just spend a morning in Pisa and the drive back on the inner roads to enjoy the scenery more.

Have a great time!