Would love some help with itinerary please

Have just made some changes hopefully that will make things flow better, but would still love some help -

Hi, we've just made a spur of the moment decision to travel to Italy and France, and our flights are booked. We fly from Australia to Rome, arriving late on 25 July 14 with two nights’ accommodation booked (free as part of our ticket), giving us just the one full day in Rome. We have been to Italy some years ago and spent time in Venice, Florence, Pisa, San Gimignano, Rome, before heading south, so we are happy to cut short any time in Rome or Florence this time around.

What we would like to do is visit Cinque Terra and spend our time in Tuscany, with possibilities including Lucca, Chianti, Siena, San Gimignano, Monteriggioni, Volterra, Montepulciano. Interested in a wine tour, or certainly visiting the odd winery here or there, apart from that just exploring. Happy to go to Florence again if this helps logistics and happy for more suggestions or recommendations if it doesn’t sound sensible.

We will probably leave Cinque Terre to last, freeing up more time in Tuscany. We will hire a car for the Tuscany days then train to Cinque Terre, and leave CT by train, heading to France (via Genoa). Would love some suggestions of where to base ourselves in Tuscany, accommodation suggestions and what to do/see from where etc. Somewhere beautiful, not crowded, excellent food and wine? Prefer not to be on the move too much if possible. I am guessing it will be busy everywhere, how early do we need to book accommodation?

Would you recommend picking up a hire car from Rome, or train into Tuscany somewhere and pick up a hire car once there? Can we drop off at La Spezia on our way to Cinque Terre?

Dates we are working within -
24 July - Arrive Rome 8.50 pm
25 July - Rome
26 July - Make way to Tuscany - Car ? or train ?
27 July -
28 July -
29 July -
30 July -
31 July – Make way to Cinque Terra (drop off hire car)
1 Aug - Full Day Cinque Terre
2 Aug - Full Day Cinque Terre
3 Aug - Train from La Spezia / Genoa / Nice

Would really appreciate help with our itinerary. Thanks so much in advance.

Last edited:
Thankyou

Thank you Lourdes, I’ll check out the other thread and thank you GiorgioT, your blog looks wonderful and I look forward to enjoying it further.