Need a day 3 plan

Downers

Heading to Italy next week! We are staying in Siena for 5 days. I will be renting a car for 2 of the days. Day 1 will be just staying in Siena. Day 2 driving to Volterra, San Gimignaroio and the Chianti region. Day 3 is open and was looking for driving ideas. We are taking the train to Florence for 1 day and then the train to Cinque Terra for one day. Ideas and comments are welcome.

Ciao Downers,

Your plans so far sound good!

The perfect plan for the 3rd day is to drive down into the Val d'Orcia region to the south of Siena. If you take the Cassia road, you'll pass by the Crete Senesi as well so get to enjoy good views.
I'd recommend a quick stop in Buonconvento, then on to Montalcino and then to Sant'Antimo Abbey below. Then on to San Quirico d'Orcia (road is very scenic) and then on to Pienza. If you have time, you might try to make it all the way to Montepulciano and from there you can take the faster A1 and then cross road back to Siena.

The only part that I find harder to support is the 1 day trip to Cinque Terre.... it is quite far to go by train, it is doable but you'll be tired and it will be a very long day! how about heading to Cinque Terre the last day, without the need to head back to Siena in the evening and just staying up there? it would make it a little less crazy considering the train ride is average 4 hours each way.

Great Advice

We have decided on your day 3 plan of southern drive. The last day I will keep open. Never know if we want to revisit somewhere or maybe do another day in Florence. The beauty of travel is keeping one day free for the unexpected. Thanks for you advice and looking forward to our trip next week.