Val d'Orcia Day Trip

Iremcma

Hi, I have arranged for a private car tour for 9 hours. We will be picked up at our hotel in Florence at 9am and our day will end when we're dropped off in Siena. We are staying 2 nights in Siena.
So, this car tour will be to small towns and wineries in the Val d'Orcia region. I basically can decide what towns and wineries to see. It seems that Pienza, Montalcino and Montepulciano are highly recommended. Can someone help me with ideas for this 9 hour day trip? I presume we'll stop for lunch but I'm not sure where to stop. Not sure how long to allocate to each town, or if these towns are really the best to see. My mom and sister would have trouble with steep steps so that's a consideration too. My mom is mostly interested in seeing the picturesque countryside. The idea of wine and possibly lunch while overlooking a great view of Tuscany sounds perfect.
Thanks for any advice!!

If your mom is interested in the Tuscan countryside, then Valdorcia is the right place to visit. Most of Tuscan postcard are representations of Valdorcia landscape: rolling, gentle green hills are the typical sceneray of this region of Tuscany.
You've supposed right, Pienza, Montalcino, Montepulciano and Castiglione d'Orcia as well are the most representative locations of Valdorcia, you may easily get to all of them in a 9 hours trip.
All the towns are quite small, so you won't spend much time in visiting the old city centers; you'll find in all the 4 locations panoramic places for eating and enjoying local food and wines.
If you're particularly interested in tasting red wines, then Montalcino and Montepulciano are renowned for their specialities: Brunello di Montalcino and Rosso di Montepulciano.
Actually, Castiglione d'Orcia is located in the midst of Val d'Orcia, in a very wonderful setting with view over the surrounding valleys, so maybe if you've to arrange a lunch in a brethtaking place, this is what you're looking for. Being located atop of a hill, you'll need to go up-hill till the old center.

thanks

Thank you! I am wondering if we can have our car (tour guide) drive to the center of Montepulciano? I know there's a steep hill (which my mom cannot do).
Also, is that place you mentioned (Castiglione d'Orcia) atop the hill a small town or a winery? We are looking for a winery with a great view, hopefully we can sit outside. We're also looking for a great lunch place on this journey, any ideas? Maybe these towns I've mentioned will not take up the whole time?
Wineries on this route that are great but maybe not the main touristy ones? Any ideas?

Thanks again!!

You may surely drive atop the hill till the main gates of Montepulciano walls, where buses arriving from Florence and Siena usually stop. Have a look at this post for a more detailed description of the town and what to see and to do once you get there.
Castiglione d'Orcia is another marvellous village in Val d'Orcia, not a winery, where you could eventually find a panoramic place for wine tasting or eating something.
Here is a list of delicious wineries in Montalcino and Montepulciano for having a lunch or a simply typical products tasting.