Mugello 2014 around motoGP weekend

Hyde

Other things to do in Mugello after/around motoGP time?
Hi there

Thanks for an informative thread! My husband and I are travelling with another couple to attend the motoGP and I have a couple of questions regarding other things to do in the area at this time.

We hope to visit the outlet stores one evening and were wondering what else we could get up on other evenings? We have hired a car and will be staying right next to the circuit in a B&B.

Any suggestions of nice places to eat would also be most welcome (low to mid range budget).

On Monday 2nd June the husbands are doing a track day. Its also my birthday and I was hoping to find something to do on my own to celebrate/treat myself. I have not been able to find a website with information to help with this. I was thinking a tour, a day at a health or beauty spa or something indulgent.

At the end of the day we are driving to Massa and would like to look for somewhere nice to stop for a meal between Mugello and our accommodation there.

Thanks!

Heidi
New Zealand

Ciao Heidi,

Saw your other thread and it seems you're doing this right after spending time in Greve, correct?

As far as the Mugello goes right during the MotoGP time - expect roads to be busy and particularly Scarperia to be pretty crowded. At the same time, they are used to it so organization runs well and you'll be impressed. There will be signs along roads to guide you so that they don't get too congested but so expect lots of cars on the roads.

If it isn't too busy, I'd suggest going to eat at IL RUSTICO in Scarperia, right in Piazza Garibaldi. It is very big so no matter the crowds you might get a chance to eat there. We have a delicious antipasto and pasta dish for lunch at very decent prices, with pretty big portions.
You can also head to Borgo San Lorenzo, San Piero a Sieve, Barberino di Mugello for eating out... I have heard great things (great food at great pries) about the restaurant at Villa La Dogana, it is in the middle of nowhere as you have to head to Barberino and then from there head north on Via Casaglia. You can call and book at +39 335 8172798.
For more ideas, you can see this page.

A visit to the outlets in Barberino as a must on one afternoon, and another you could do a tour of the Medici villas and castles (particularly the convent at Bosco ai Frati in addition to the Palazzo dei Vicari in Scarperia) or do wine tastings along the Chianti Rufina wine road. You can head to Dicomano and do wine tastings at Fattoria il Lago or at Frascole, both small, family-run wineries. You can contact both to make reservations.

Are you interested in golf? there is also the golf club Poggio dei Medici nearby if you're interested on a day on the green ;)

To celebrate your birthday, I agree with a day of pampering! In the area, there are two resorts that have a dedicated SPA area that are open to the public and not just guests (but email to double-check): the first one is Villa Le Maschere in Barberino where you can enjoy specific treatments as well as a DAY SPA - see details here: http://www.villalemaschere.it/eng/wellness.htm
The second is Monsignor della Casa 3km north of Borgo San Lorenzo, so closer but on the other side of the race circuit. See details here: http://www.monsignordellacasa.com/wellness-spa
I'd suggest contacting them both, as I am sure it would be best to have everything booked ahead of time given the busy weekend for the area.... if you end up booking there, make sure to ask for specific directions on how to reach them that weekend as the roads change direction... so you might need to follow a specific route to get to them, no matter how it is on other days of the year.

Most of all, be prepared that weekend to have lots of people in the same area so be very patient as you move around.

As you move on to Massa, I'd suggest stopping in Montecatini Terme for lunch. We had a delicious lunch at Osteria da Max with bountiful portions and great service... and great prices! :)

My first visit to mugello for gp

Hello to everyone!
I would like to make a few questions regarding the motogp race. I am so clueless!!
I am thinking of buying a VIP ticket for this race. But first I must find a flight to Florence and a hotel near the circuit.
I searched the internet and found that Florence airport is the nearest airport, correct?
Today i booked my airplane tickets.
Now i need to find a hotel. Which province is near the circuit? Unfortunately i will not hire a car so it will be difficult to walk long distances.
Any reply will be kind!
Thank you in advance!
Korallia

Ciao Korallia and welcome to the Forum!

Yes, Florence is the closest airport but unfortunately that weekend in Mugello is SO popular that hotels get booked for that weekend months ahead of time. I am afraid you will have difficulty finding anything that is very close to the circuit.

First, read this very useful article on how to get to the race circuit - it will be useful to know you can stay in Florence or a little further away and still get there easily:
http://www.discovertuscany.com/mugello/mugello-circuit.html

For accommodation, I'd suggest you start with these in the Mugello area:
http://www.tuscanyaccommodation.com/mugello/
The closest is Agriturismo La Topaia, then there is La Paggeria and the ones in Dicomano (Fattoria il Lago, Frascole). Contact all of them to ask if they do have space.

If you're not successful, then I'd start looking at places in Florence here.