fall colours in Tuscany

anand nirgude

I am planning to arrive at florence on 16 th October this year and being a serious photographer, the purpose of my visit is to explore fall colours in Tuscany. Of course that would invariably include Tuscan charm architecture, country side and wineries etc. Please help me make itinerary for ten days. this would be my second visit. I visited Florence, Pisa and Siena earlier in June2013.
anand

Ciao Anand,

It will be essential that you consider renting your own car (you can read our tips and search for rentals here http://www.discovertuscany.com/tuscany-car-rental/), so that you can get out into the countryside at dawn and dusk for the best light. How long were you in Florence last year?

I'd suggest spending at least 2 days in Florence, then spending the rest of the time in the countryside - I'd suggest divide the time in between the Chianti region (4 days) and the Val d'Orcia (4 days) region.
Both are wide regions with many villages and will give ample chance for you to explore - take the white roads and discover the farmhouses and wineries and all the roads/hills with cypresses and vineyards :)

Fall Foliage in Tuscany

I love watching the colors emerge in Tuscany!

One of my favorite little roads to try out is just outside the city center of Florence.

Take the Chiantigiana (SR222) direction Grassina, and just before you exit this little town, on the left handside is a sign S Polo (San Polo in Chianti) ... its a sharp left and a bit hidden but well worth the detour. There are lots of panoramic places to pull over and take shots of the vineyards in all their fall glory. And not a lot of traffic....and a fantastic vineyard or two along the way (Ruffino and Malenchini be sure to call and reserve your spot first)

Follow the signs and it will put you back on the Chiantgiana before Greve in Chianti where you can continue on for more vineyards and cypress trees.

Buon Viaggio!