From Florence to Siena in Motorcycle

Diego

Diego from Mexico.
Hi,
I will be at Florence in mids october and just rented a motorcycle to travel to Siena. Someone know an specific route to enjoy the views ?
Thanks a lot !!!

Motorcycles and curves

That is a great way to enjoy the countryside. The classical route would be to take the Chiantigiana - which undoubtedly is a beautiful trip...however I know motorcycles enjoy some curves in their itinerary so I would suggest heading from Florence to Siena on the famous 222 (aka Chiantigiana), but when you get to Grassina look for a turn off for San Polo in Chianti (blue sign S Polo on the left hand side of the road...kind of sneaks up on you) - road name SP 56 - you won't find that anywhere but maybe a GPS. This road will eventually rejoin the 222, takes you into some less traveled territory and great scenery with some fun curves. You could stop at the Ruffino vineyard located in a panoramic position along this stretch of road.

You can even stop and enjoy a great meal at the Paglietta, a restaurant located right outside of the tiny (very tiny) town of San Polo in Chianti. It is practically on the corner where you turn to go towards Greve in Chianti, which should definitely be the next stop on your itinerary!

Buon Viaggio|

That is a great way to enjoy the countryside. The classical route would be to take the Chiantigiana - which undoubtedly is a beautiful trip...however I know motorcycles enjoy some curves in their itinerary so I would suggest heading from Florence to Siena on the famous 222 (aka Chiantigiana), but when you get to Grassina look for a turn off for San Polo in Chianti (blue sign S Polo on the left hand side of the road...kind of sneaks up on you) - road name SP 56 - you won't find that anywhere but maybe a GPS. This road will eventually rejoin the 222, takes you into some less traveled territory and great scenery with some fun curves. You could stop at the Ruffino vineyard located in a panoramic position along this stretch of road.

You can even stop and enjoy a great meal at the Paglietta, a restaurant located right outside of the tiny (very tiny) town of San Polo in Chianti. It is practically on the corner where you turn to go towards Greve in Chianti, which should definitely be the next stop on your itinerary!

Buon Viaggio|

That's great info...thank you for sharing.

We just returned from Tuscany - rented a Harley out of the Florence dealership - they plotted our route perfectly! Wait till you smell the basil in the air! We traveled to Lucca, Pisa, The coast in Livorna, Chianti and Siena. Took us two full days - we booked a small B&B at 7pm online and ended up in Bibbona one night. It was fabulous two days!

The bike we rented had a GPS - but it kept trying to bring us back to the highway. Make sure you print out a map and stay on the back roads. Some of the curves are crazy and fun. But I felt safer on a motorcycle there than i do in the US.

Have a blast!

Sounds like you had a wonderful time in Tuscany Bella Ruggiero, thanks for sharing your experience with us, I am sure it will be helpful to all others wanting to plan a similar holiday! :)