Wine tasting in Tuscany

Jabrdy

My husband and I are planning our first trip to Italy in May 2015. We would like to go from Florence , rent a car and spend a day wine tasting, then stay over somewhere in the area. We would then probably drive back to Florence the next morning so we could return the car and catch a train to Nap,es ( our next stop) We are more interested in the wine areas in the south as are not huge Chianti fans. I would love some suggestions on how we should plan the day, where we should spend the night- Sienna, or other smaller towns nearby and what good wineries are worth seeing. I am just starting to plan the trip so am open to suggestions and flexible with time somewhat. Thanks in advance for any help:)

Ciao!

If you mean southern Tuscany, then that means the Brunello di Montalcino and Montepulciano wine areas, both in the Val d'Orcia area.

If you have the time, and want to savor the beautiful area (beautiful panoramas), I'd suggest renting the car and driving down and spending at least 2-3 days in the area, driving around and doing tastings on different days, with winery tours/visits as well on different days. This reduces the amount of drinking & driving on any day, which is also illegal here.

If you have limited days, another great option is to join up with a tour - that way you can drink to your heart's content without worrying about driving. Take a look at the possibilities here:
http://www.partner.viator.com/en/8357/travel-tips/Wine-Tasting-in-Chianti-and-Tuscany/ttd

Getting back to what a day could look like: drive from Florence down the A1 to Montepulciano, then drive across west toward Montalcino. There are excellent, small wineries all around Montepulciano and Montalcino. You'll see signs with arrows along the roads indicating when you can stop.
Head to Pienza for great cheese tastings as well, and then on to Montalcino (stopping before and after San Quirico for the views) for more great wines. Montalcino would be a great base for the night, especially if all if you have is 1 night out... then the following day drive north and visit Siena before returning to Florence.

Me too! I didn't delete the link or post out (it is themselves promoting their site and I am pretty strict about keep spam and other junk off this community) because it seemed like a nice project - so let's hope they keep adding info to it! ;-)

A trip to Chainti Classico

I am new to the forum. I am not sure how to post.I am planning my 1st trip to Italy that would likely start in Rome. I am a fan of Chainti Classico wines and would like to visit the exhibition in Sept in Greve. We would make our way to Florence and then to Greve. We do not drive so it will be public transport and tours. Can you help us with suggestions for a 3-day stay in the region that would include maybe a wine tour and trip from Florence to Greve.Btw I don't speak Italian...do I need to pick up some words? Thanks & Regards. Patrick