Family of 7 All Adults Looking For Small City in Tuscany

PamH

My husband and I will be traveling to Tuscany for a 12 day trip with our 3 kids and 2 guests all in their 20s. We are looking for suggestions regarding a city outside of Florence that has in-town accommodations that will give us flexibility to walk to restaurants/cafes go shopping and also make day trips into Florence, Sienna and other attractions in the region. We will not be renting a car so will rely on train/bus for transportation.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Pam

Small town base for a family

Buongiorno -

there are so many possibilities and this is by no means your only option! A personal favorite of mine is in Greve in Chianti.

http://www.anticopastificio.com/

not only is Greve loaded with atmosphere, shops, restaurants and cafes but it is also centrally located and well connected with public transport - as well as offering several alternatives like hiking, wine tasting and renting bikes or vespas.

If you call or write for info - you should also ask about their villas; they have two of them both within a comfortable walking distance and both with pools. I believe they are good for upto 8 pax.

But if you are interested in a wider choice, have a look at this link for apartments in city centers throughout Tuscany:

http://www.tuscanyaccommodation.com/tuscany-city-apartments/

Buon Viaggio

Ciao Pam,

Greve is beautiful but is a bit more difficult to use as a base for moving around a lot if you won't have a car. You'll have to take a bus back to Florence, then from there move on to the destination you want to reach. It just really depends on whether you want to spend more time relaxing and enjoying the countryside without moving around too much....

Another great town would be Siena itself - it still retains the small town charm, while being more connected to all the smaller towns around.

Another good choice would be Certaldo, which is along the train line between Empoli and Siena or San Miniato, along the Pisa-Florence train line.

Small City in Tuscany

I think Lucca has everything you could be looking for. It's small to move about either on foot or the recommended Bike! Lovely shopping, great restaurants and while I'm not totally sure of the train service I'm almost positive it will be a good one to any of the surrounding sites, of which there are many.

Enjoy no matter where you choose!