Traveling to Tuscany in September, and I have a couple of questions

Marji

Hello Folks!

We are traveling to Tuscany in early September, and we are very excited about this trip. This is my first time in Italy. My husband and I are sharing a villa with two other couples (dear friends). We live in New York. I guess we'll be there about 10 days.

We are excited to explore the area, do some cycling, perhaps visit Florence, definitely visit Cinque Terre (!), and any other place that is recommended by folks who know more than I do! I plan to spend the time between now and then learning to speak Italian.

I have two questions:

First, I am a vegetarian, mostly vegan, though I'm not strict. I'm hoping that I can eat well while I'm there, and I wonder if anyone has any experiences about food from that perspective in Tuscany.

Second, we are performing musicians (folk/pop/jazz) here in New York (state), and I thought it'd be a blast to book a show while we're there. I have NO idea how to go about getting that started, and I wonder if anyone has any ideas about lining up a show (like a house concert or something like that) in the region.

Thanks so much for reading my message!!!

With deepest gratitude and warmest wishes,
Marji

Vegan

Buongiorno,

Though cheese and dairy products are a large part of the diet in Tuscany - there are lots of things you can eat which will allow you to stick to your dietary choice. There is pasta made with eggs (Pasta all'uovo) - and pasta with out - and many times it is written like that on the menu and on the products you buy in the store. And there are also many sauces that include just veggies. Beans are also an important part of traditional recipes...just be sure to learn the phrase "niente carne" - which means no meat.

Cheese will often find itself in the most unexpected of places - so you might want to learn the phrase "Niente formaggio" as well. However, if you are not super strict ... a little Parmesan here and there might just be pretty tasty! (like when it is in pesto :) )

You will find in the supermarkets soy, almond and rice products - like yogurt and milk both in the refrigerated areas as well as the non. And there is a store called NaturaSì, which is sure to have a large supply of alternate protein sourses.

And of course, fresh fruit and veggies are an important part of the med diet - when looking on the menus search for the word CONTORNO, and you will find lots of veggies and bean dishes.

Buon Viaggio

Buongiorno,

Though cheese and dairy products are a large part of the diet in Tuscany - there are lots of things you can eat which will allow you to stick to your dietary choice. There is pasta made with eggs (Pasta all'uovo) - and pasta with out - and many times it is written like that on the menu and on the products you buy in the store. And there are also many sauces that include just veggies. Beans are also an important part of traditional recipes...just be sure to learn the phrase "niente carne" - which means no meat.

Cheese will often find itself in the most unexpected of places - so you might want to learn the phrase "Niente formaggio" as well. However, if you are not super strict ... a little Parmesan here and there might just be pretty tasty! (like when it is in pesto :) )

You will find in the supermarkets soy, almond and rice products - like yogurt and milk both in the refrigerated areas as well as the non. And there is a store called NaturaSì, which is sure to have a large supply of alternate protein sourses.

And of course, fresh fruit and veggies are an important part of the med diet - when looking on the menus search for the word CONTORNO, and you will find lots of veggies and bean dishes.

Buon Viaggio

Oh! Molte grazie! Your message is SO helpful to me!!!

I am really enjoying learning Italian; it is my hope that I will be able to speak and understand a fair amount of Italian by the time we get there. And...it is SO much fun learning. What a beautiful language!

Thanks for your reply and your very helpful answer!! Very exciting!

Con gratitudine,

Marji

Vegetarian Restaurant Recommendation

Hi Marji,

This is a great little vegetarian restaurant just outside Montespertoli, about 20 miles south of Florence. It is off the tiny, extremely narrow road that leads to Lucignano, an absolutely breathtaking area to drive in. The restaurant entrance is hidden off to the left, just after a very steep curve, as you come down the hill, but there is a small sign.

La Fonte

http://www.ristorantelafonte.it/en/

Enjoy, and come back with review!